4

Cory's POV

Once we arrive back on campus I b-line for my car trying to avoid my coach. I wasn't successful in my plan, to say the least. "Cory stay back for a minute."

"Yes". I question quietly.

"What did Jill Ellis want?"

"Just invited me to their camp they are hosting in Jacksonville."

"Okay well I'll notify the school. Have a good two weeks. I'll also have your teachers email you your assignments so you don't get behind".

"Thank you." I state lightly as I jump into the old shitbox and power her to life. I head home and change quickly before driving back through to Georgia. Before I left I packed up my gear for the two weeks and chucked it in the backseat knowing if I left it till morning I wouldn't sleep.

I get to the restaurant she had texted me 50 minutes early.  I make sure I have enough cash on me throwing an extra two hundred into my wallet in case something happens. With so much time left I open up the book, I was previously reading and go back to my page. I look up every 5 minutes waiting for her to come into my view. I was sitting in my jeep with the driver's side window down to keep it cool without burning gas. I wasn't expecting Tierna to pull into the spot right beside me. She gets out as I mark my page and set my book on the passenger seat.

She lightly taps on the frame of the car pulling my attention to her. "Hey, stranger." She states.

"Hi." I wave awkwardly. She just chuckles and moves to the front of my car as I roll up the window and get out of the lifted car. I lock it a few times before tapping my pockets making sure I had everything. I was in jeans and a black shirt, Tierna was in shorts and a Stanford athletics long sleeve.

We walk into the restaurant together and grab a table for two. Once we are seated she gets right to asking questions. "How old are you exactly?"

"18."

"Okay. Why did you apologize to Alison?"

"I hit her in the head. I feel bad. Just wanted to make sure she didn't think I did it on purpose."

"She definitely didn't think you did it on purpose. She was just confused."

"Sorry," I mutter sheepishly not really knowing how to respond.

"So are you sold on Stanford yet?"

"Maybe?" I state more as a question than a statement.

"Well, we would love to have you. But we all know how many schools are looking at you. You had offers your freshman year." I just nod wondering why Tierna was trying to sell me on myself.

I go to respond when my phone starts vibrating. "Please excuse me," I murmur as I accept the call and walk just outside the door of the restaurant. "Hey, dad."

"Just wanted to tell you I'll be out of the country for a month. Heard you got called up. All the guys love it."

"Okay." I don't know why he felt the need to tell me his friend's insight on my life but who cares?

"Don't do anything even though I know you have no friends. Just don't screw this up I'm counting on you."

"Thanks?" It comes out as a question.

"Boarding the plane now gotta go." The call ends. No, I love you, or stay safe's. I know not to expect those sorts of things but it does hurt.

I stuff the phone back into my pocket feeling dejected as I awkwardly shuffle into the restaurant and back to my table. Once seated I order my food when the waitress comes back around and a water as Tierna orders what she wants.