CHAPTER THREE,

CHAPTER THREE | WHERE THE THORNS GROW

THE NIGHT WAS young in Hongcheng on Saturday evenings, the cities bustling with people, yieshi—night markets—opened everywhere you turned, merchants selling their wares, vendors selling food, people of all ages running around. It was her favourite time.

  She didn't remember who started it, but a few years ago a tradition had started between them where a group of them would all gather together in one of the qinglous dotted around the city. Technically, they were brothels. But it wasn't precisely the ones they saw in the west either. Here, the girls (and boys) usually followed a simple rule—mai yi bu mai shen. They sell their talent, their art, but not their bodies. And there was excellent wine, along with the performers there being excellent sources of information. One of the rooms was always reserved for their little group.

  The funny thing was, though, that they always arrived individually. It didn't matter that most of them lived in the same place, they always arrived separately. Rhys liked to think it was because they all took different routes, but she had to admit that she'd had to dodge into a crowd of people once or twice because she spotted someone she knew. And she did not want to be the one breaking tradition.

  The splendour of Lan Chun Ge could probably match up to that of the Scarlet Palace. A clutter of pretty girls stood by the doors, trying to attract customers. Red accents on white, the lanterns lighting up the building as if it was still day. Rhys smiled. This place always managed to put life into her. She'd miss it if she had to leave.

  Another safe haven facing impending doom. That was tragic. She might as well enjoy it while she could.

  Two steps in and she was stopped. Qu Rong'en, one of the most famous girls here, grinning in her face. "The Briar graces us with her presence once more!"

  Rhys replied, "I grace you with my presence every Saturday evening, Rong'en. It's not even surprising anymore."

  "Oh, I like to forget about that." Rong'en pulled her closer for a hug. The dress the girl wore was scandalously revealing, the slit going all the way up to her thigh. Her hair was perfectly done in curls, her makeup smoky and heavy, giving her a sense of allure and mystery, not that she really needed it. "Ji Ya told me to tell you the room's ready. As always. The Herald and the Cobra have already arrived, think they're talking to Najun right now. Something about a new book sweeping through the world of philosophy." Rong'en faked a yawn. "Boring if you ask me."

  "Well, it is Najun's thing." Rhys grinned. "I'll see you later, yeah? If you're not too busy?"

  Rong'en glanced around. "Busy night, busy night, you know Saturday is the night most of my regulars come by. I'll probably be on stage for most of it, can't wait for my fingers to blister tomorrow. But I'll try to spare more time for you, yeah?"

  "Sounds great. If you have time, that is, don't want Ji Ya to be mad."

  Rong'en had been sold here at an early age. Her parents had been too poor to afford a daughter. Ji Ya, the madame of the Lan Chun Ge had given her training and a roof until she became one of the best pipa players in the entire city. Now people rush from all around the world just to see her perform. And she was close, very close to getting out. One of the young lords was infatuated with her. In the olden days it wasn't rare for girls like Rong'en to be  taken in as concubines by rich men, but now with the abolishment of harems by the new dynasty that was more difficult. Ji nv like Rong'en now either had to buy their own way out, or find someone who was willing to marry them despite the stigma.

  Rong'en winked. "Ji Ya is never mad at me, I'm her best girl. If she gets mad at me she'd be on the verge of firing all the others. I'll see you soon, Yaning."