chapter 1

"Alice!" Esme's voice came out in a sob of relief, Rosealie and Carsile echoing her a split second later. "Alice!" Emmett's voice boomed with joy. Kate, still leaning against Garrett for support, looked up at him in amazement, gold eyes on ruby. "Alice!" She murmured to him. Carmen and Eleazar exclaimed together, calling out the name with voices raised high in warm welcome. "Alice." Maggie looked smug, catching the light of truth she could see Alice carrying towards their side.

Jasper flanked his mate protectively, sparing only a quick nod to his family as they passed by, headed for the Volturi. Alice glanced over too, worry clouding her eyes - she didn't meet anybody's gaze, just glanced over them all, as if assuring herself they were safe.

This might not yet turn out the way they wanted it to.

"My dear, dear Alice, we're so glad to see you here after all." Aro was all but purring. The prize he wanted above all others was finally, finally within his reach. Behind his shoulder Jane smirked, holding herself at the ready. Alice, lips pursed into a thin line, pushed impatiently at the guards restraining her. Jasper had likewise been blocked in, a smirking Demetri standing in front of him.

"I have evidence the child will not be a threat to our kind." Alice implored, extending a hand to Aro between two Volturi in her way. "Let me show you."

"Brother." Cauis sounded impatient. Aro gestured Alice forward, and she pushed past the guards, chin held high, and offered her hand to Aro. He grabbed it greedily, placed his other hand over hers, ever controlling.

Jasper flinched to see his mate so close to Aro, and Demetri insolently slapped his face. Jasper's gold eyes never left Alice, though he grunted at the impact.

Alice's narrow gaze watched as he absorbed her visions, still and silent for these precious few seconds while he sorted, calculated, and schemed. It was easy for her to understand what would happen next, since his mind was already made up.

"It doesn't matter what I show you." Aro's tilted his head, politely curious. "Even when you see, you still won't change your decision." There was a hard accusation in her tone. Carlisle leaned forward, on the balls of his feet, almost in physical pain at seeing his daughter, fearless, brave Alice, standing up to Aro.

They all knew now what he was capable of. But not everyone assembled believed it possible that he would actually go through with it. Jasper felt the hope fading - from his family, from the Denalis, from everyone on their side of the battlefield.

Alice turned her back on the smirking Aro. "Now!" she mouthed to Bella, who turned with an agonized look to Jacob and her daughter. Renesmee looked down from her perch atop Jacob's shoulders, protest arguing with the resignation on her small, too-wise face. Bella reached up to touch her hand, hoping that one day, the note she had left her daughter would make up for this moment and all the pain Renesmee was feeling. Jacob, not yet understanding Alice's desperate instruction, turned his great red-furred head to Bella.

"Keep my daughter safe." Bella ordered him in a tone that allowed no room for argument. Edward turned to her as well, his face echoing a more human horror than the still-recognizable expression on Jacob's canine features. Then with a powerful bound, the red wolf turned and raced off through the snow. 

Alice smirked at Jasper

"She's here" she said in a sing song voice, that sounded rather creepy. Hearing the sound of loud music every shifter and vampire was wondering what was going on. As It got even louder they began to hear the songs word's.