iv. mississippi

October 16, 2011
the walker residence

" Huh?" Ameria said for the fifth time still trying to process what Nya had told her.

" We're moving to Mississippi." Nya announced again to her two shocked little sisters.

" Why?" Brooklyn asked already almost on the verge of fake tears.

" Look we have a lot of family out there and I need help with y'all."

" I'm supposed to be graduating this  year, and what about my friends, our friends." Brooklyn protested, bringing the attention the to Ameria for some possible sympathy from her already decided older sister.

Ameria was trying her hardest not to cry right there, it had been a month ever since her and Steve went on that date, and he even asked her to be his girlfriend. How was she gonna tell him, and her friends?

" You will be graduating this year Brook, just in a school in Mississippi." Nya insisted.

" Do you even know how to spell Mississippi, cause I bet you don't!" Brooklyn shouted as Ameria quickly ran to her room.

Everything else just seemed to be muffled as she started to cry, a lot. She paced quickly around the room as she felt herself start to lessen, everything was finally going well for her. Her grades were ok, she finally made some good friends, and a guy actually liked her, but of course it can never last.

As this was happening Brooklyn walked into the shared bedroom bummed out, " Hey, are you ok?" Brooklyn asked as she stopped her little sister to look her in the eye.

" No." Ameria said as more tears started flowing down her face.

Brooklyn sat Ameria down on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed as she wiped the tears off of Ameria's face.

" It's not gonna be that bad I promise." Brooklyn assured, " This isn't the first time we moved, we actually moved here from Oakland when you were I think two. I remember Nya was in the exact same situation, she had just gotten a boyfrien- "

" I don't have a boyfriend." Ameria immediately interjected.

" I saw you kiss that lil boy last week at the mall, and I know you don't be on that fast ass shit. Anyways, I remember mommy sitting her down at the table to calm her down and telling her that she can visit her boyfriend and her friends whenever she wanted to, and Nya told me that same thing five minutes ago, which means she'll say the same to you. You seriously have nothing to worry about." Brooklyn assured before giving her tear crust faced sister a hug.

" Thank you Brook." Ameria said into the hug.

" Your welcome shit stain." Brooklyn replied sympathetically making Ameria laugh.

*

The next morning Ameria was awoken from her very good " after cry "sleep by ice down her shirt. " Wake the fuck up." Brooklyn said blankly as she shot awake.

" Why the fuck would you do that you psycho bitch!" Ameria shouted as she bolted up out of her bunk of the bed.

" I was shaking yo ass awake for like five minutes and you weren't responsive so I just basically saved your life." Brooklyn shrugged as she left the room.

Ameria washed her face, and brushed her teeth before checking her phone. A good morning text from Steve, she looked at the text and frowned, she already missed him.

As she patted down her face with a dry towel she could hear the sizzling of bacon and commotion going on in the kitchen.

" We're moving in with the Aunt with them five nasty ass kids?! Is there no other Aunt available?" Brooklyn wailed as Nya rolled her eyes.