NULA

her

her
. . . . .

Saffron Creek views her mind as a prism—pristine and timeless—in which she holds recollections of demons that she wishes she could forget. Instead, they are preserved like insects in amber, always residing at the forefront of her memory, visceral and alive.

She is its prisoner.

It is like she is the warden of a compound she has no governance over. Her mind is a wretched creature that forces her to remember the blood, spilled and dried, in the arena of the 67th Hunger Games. It, too, floods her chest with a haunting grief, and fails to prevent the moments when she dives into despair. Her heart, sometimes, feels like a perpetual wound that never scabs.

She wonders if the other victors of District 2 betray themselves in the same way she believes she does—if their bodies succumb to terror like hers. She hopes that they are also marked not just by the physical scars imprinted upon her skin, but also those deep-set cracks that lie beneath. Often, she feels as if she is a puppet whose strings have been long tangled.

But it is under the very spotlight she loathes that she encounters that fresh sea-breeze. That boy with gilded skin and ocean glass for eyes.

Maybe the universe has a sense of humor, or, more likely, it enjoys a display of devastating irony.