21 - Advice from the Unexpected

"When you told me you wanted me to meet someone today, I wasn't expecting that you'd have me meet your best friends," Willow announced as she finally met up with Hermione, who had been second to emerge from the green-flamed fireplaces.

Their entrance to the Ministry of Magic was guided by the curly-haired Gryffindor, who had completed the action of flushing herself down the Ministry toilet far too many times since Harry and Ron had begun working there.

It was Willow's first time in the building, though she had heard stories of the battle against Voldemort by Dumbledore's Army. It appeared to be restored in its original state under Kingsley Shacklebolt's rule.

Hermione's hand automatically found Willow's, lacing them together as they made their way toward the elevators.

"Are you sure you're okay with meeting them?" Hermione confirmed as they waited for the lift. "I mean, I know that meeting Ron might be hard for you, especially since I'm still close with him."

"If you're trying to ask if I'll be jealous, I'm not," Willow reassured. "And I won't be. I know that you all have been friends since the very first year."

"It'll be quick, I promise," Hermione smiled gently. "I just want to introduce my girlfriend."

The gate to the lift opened for the couple to enter, with a few other people joining in the small space of transportation. The voice announcing their arrival broke the short moments that had brought the group to Level Two, Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

The Gryffindors stepped out onto the floor, seeing a set of heavy oak doors at the end, which Hermione appeared to be heading toward. She confidently stepped toward the doors, though she felt a tug as she looked behind her. Willow stayed in her place, seeming almost uneasy to meet the boys.

"You okay, Willow?" Hermione questioned with a worried expression.

"Yeah, I just... I just have a question," Willow trailed as she looked into the distance. "You and Ron... did you love him?"

Hermione looked at her girlfriend gently as she tugged her to the side, away from the foot traffic.

"I did," Hermione solemnly admitted with a nod. "All the love I give—it's genuine."

"And your relationship with him..."

"That's something I like to keep in the past," Hermione answered tenderly. "Ron and I... we were never a good fit. There was always something that didn't quite click with us—unlike you and me."

"Am I any better than him?" Willow continued with curiosity.

"I don't think it's right to compare you two. Besides, you're the first girl I've ever truly admired." Hermione spoke to her girlfriend with a comforting tone, though she seemed eager to greet her friends.

Willow didn't say anything; her expression was blank and unreadable.

"My love," Hermione called out, bringing Willow's attention back to her. "I only see you. I want my friends to meet the person that makes me happy."

Willow gazed deeply into Hermione's eyes, nodding slowly in understanding. Her lips were met with the light tap of Hermione's lips, who had kissed her in reassurance.

"Thank you," Willow breathed out as a small smile crept upon her face. "We can go, now."

Hermione waited for Willow to regain her senses before slowly leading them toward the Auror Headquarters. Willow reached forward to open one of the doors for Hermione, who led the way to the end of the room.

They passed rows of cubicles until they reached the final one, finding both boys in the space. It only took Hermione to clear her throat for the two to spin around, their grins wide with joy.