Chapter Four

The next couple of days go by in a blur for Dani. The DNA test came back and it confirmed what they already knew: Courtney was dead.

Dani tried to get her sergeant to budge and let her work the case but he wouldn't and surprisingly neither would Spenser. He wouldn't give her any information no matter how hard she tried. It wasn't the time he would say but if now wasn't then when would be?

The day came to bury Courtney and Dani felt so lost. How was she supposed to just sit by and do nothing when the very person who killed her sister and at least eight others could be sitting in the congregation at the funeral. She could tell that this was something that was weighing on her parents minds as well.

As she walked through the pews of the church she saw Kaleb Davis, Courtney's ex-boyfriend sitting with his wife, Bailey, Courtney's bestfriend and their kids. She saw Spenser and Kayla sitting directly behind her parents. She sat down next to her mom and grabbed her hand squeezing tight, letting her know she wasn't going anywhere.

Soon Pastor Jakobs gave a sermon and some of her friends from high school gave speeches and then it was her turn.

Dani gave her mothers hand one last squeeze before making her way behind the podium, "I want to start off by saying thank you to everyone for showing up today. It means a lot to my family that so many people came out to support us," she paused looking out over the packed Church, "My sister was the light of our lives; always happy and willing to do whatever was necessary to help anyone in need. She was a kind, loving, and extremely talented person too good for this world. She will be forever missed."

As she walked away from the podium she went to her sister's coffin and kissed it saying, "I promise you that I will find who did this and they will pay. I love you forever sissy."

She walked back to her parents and grabbed their hands squeezing them. Once the closing remarks had been made everyone got up and walked out of the Church. Dani and her parents were the last one's to leave. The graveside service was when her mother really broke down.

It killed Dani to see both of her parents so broken. She knew her dad wanted to be strong but it was hard for him to know that he couldn't protect his daughter. It was the worst thing in the world to know that they were in so much pain and there was nothing she could do to ease it.

Pastor Jakobs said, "Courtney was a soul too good for this world. We should all rest easy knowing that she is in a much better place. Lets all bow our heads in prayer."

Once the service was over her parents chose to head back home, they said there were too many memories in this town for them to stay. Dani, Kayla, and Spenser made their way back to her house.

Dani changed out of her funeral dress and made her way downstairs where Spenser and Kayla were. She sat down on the couch next to Kayla who wrapped her arm around her and laid her head on top of Dani's. They sat like this for a while but eventually Dani got up and walked over to the fireplace where pictures of her and Courtney growing up.

She picks one up, its of them at their grandma Walsh's beach house when they were teenagers. She throws it against the wall. Spenser jumps up and goes to grab her but she snatches away from him.

Pacing back and forth with her hands pulling at her hair. She felt like she couldn't breath, going to her knees she begins to sob. Spenser and Kayla get on either side of her and wrap their arms around her trying to calm her.

Once she's all cried out she stands up and says, "I'm going to fins out who did this to her. I don't care what Sarge says, I don't care who it pisses off. Hell I don't care if I ruin my life whoever did it is going to pay. This son of a bitch has lived side by side with me and my family for the last ten years like they did nothing wrong."

Spenser looks at her, "Dani-"

"No Spense. I'm doing this. I'm not going to ask you to help. You have a family to support, I can't ask you to put that in jeopardy for me. You can't stop me."

Spenser sighed, "If you would have let me finish I would have said I understand and I'm not going to stop you. I've got a friend that I served with who has his own PI firm and I put in a call to him and he's agreed to come out and help you. I've already talked to Messer and Williamson and we've decided that we are going to help you however we can. We'll get you any information that we can and any doors we can't break down my buddy can."

Dani jumped up and hugged him, "Thank you so much Spense."

"Don't mention it. Now its getting late, my buddy got into town tonight. I'm meeting him at Grayson's Diner in the morning at 5:30. I'll be here to get you no later than 5:15. Go get some sleep."

She thanked him again and said goodnight. She made her way upstairs and as she walked past her sisters room she stopped and walked inside.

Everything was the way that Courtney left it. She walked to her sisters closet and found a sweatshirt of hers. Bringing it to her nose she could still smell the coconut shampoo her sister used and it brought tears to her eyes. It was something she hadn't smelt in a long time. Hugging it to her chest she went and laid down on her sisters bed hoping that tomorrow she could begin getting answers.