Chapter 1

I cannot breathe.

The air around the room was sucked out suddenly. I cannot even move because my one reckless step could kill her.

"Lora, it's okay," I put my both hands in the air as no sign of harm. "We'll talk this out." I walked slowly with my trembling legs that were about to give up. "You don't want to harm anyone, do you?"

"I want," she screams at top of her lungs. "I wanted her gone more than anyone else." she paused and bit her lip. "You don't understand. Nobody understands. Even her presence is a trigger for me." She cries and leaped forward to strike.

My heart stopped for a second after I saw blood dripping on the floor but instant relief rushes as I realized the sharp knife just scratched the skin. In a matter of seconds, the nurse quickly dragged the woman in her 40's out of the room.

I rushed and engulfed a vulnerably crying 20-year-old in a big hug. "It's okay, Lora. She's gone." I whisper soothed words into her ear as a lullaby over and over again until she calmed down and threw the knife on the ground.

"This isn't going to help," the same woman now, with a thrilling voice barge through the door. The nurse gave me an apologetic look and took Lora away from the woman.

"You-, I pointed my index finger straight at her. "You have promised me that you won't go over at Lora's again. Ever." I shouted. At this moment I couldn't care less about the fact that gods know how many people were lining up in front of my office.

"She needs to stay away from you." I breathe out heavily to let my frustration out. "You know that."

"You know that yet you....," at this right moment I didn't know what is the right phrase or the right word should I use to let this woman know that what she has been doing is insane. "What kind of mother are you?" I finally breathe out after a moment

"Stop acting like you know everything about my daughter. You don't understand doctor she was fine until she came here,"

"And that's why she splits her veins to get away from you." I scoffed. "Your daughter NEEDS space. You are a big trigger for her. How could you forget how many times she has to lay in that hospital bed lifelessly?"

"You don't get to blame me, doctor. I'm not the one who made her like this."

"No, you didn't make her like this. You forced her to be who she is now. You forced that innocent little girl to make a living for you when she was just an innocent teenager and you were doing nothing less than drinking and playing a victim card. You forced her to think that it was her fault that her father ended up in an accident and died."

"If only you would pay a little attention to her. If only you would comfort her ....... she wouldn't have to go through this shit." I whisper softly

"Lora is fine. She is just angry because I asked her for some pennies."

Upon hearing such a stupid and hilarious sentence, my blood boiled instantly. "Your daughter is mentally ill. She needs medical attention. Mental illness like any other illness should be respected and treated."

"Why am I even talking to you?" I rolled my eyes and shake my head in frustration. In a spur moment, the policemen appeared.

"Mrs. Smith, unfortunately, we have to take you in a custody for some questionnaires regarding your daughter's mental health."

"What? This is nonsense." She looked bewildered. "She is my daughter I didn't do anything wrong."

"You don't have any right to call the police" She screamed at me

But I was as shocked as she was. I didn't know where these policemen even came from. I didn't know what kinds of events will be unfolded inside my cabinet.

"I called them." I looked over at Lora standing beside the door frame. "I called them mom," she said slightly at a higher pitch. "I am going to sue you for all the emotional distress that you've caused me."

Mrs. Smith looked as shocked as I was. I was also proud of her for finally stepping up against her mother but in the back of my mind, I also felt sorry for Mrs. Smith for not understanding her daughter.

She was looking down the whole time with tears in her eyes. Disbelieved and horrified.

"You put this idea into her, didn't you?" She blinks her tears away and looked at me

A miniature amount of sorry that I felt for this woman goes away in a flash. "Officer, please take this woman away," I breathe out. I didn't want to start any kind of conversation with this woman, I didn't even want to meet her eyes. I haven't met an imbecilic woman in my entire life.

"I am sorry Dr. Evelyn," Lora smiles softly, blinking her tearful eyes.

"It's okay dear." I gave her a warm hug and gently stroked her hair. "You did well."

Just hearing those three words, her world came crumbling down and she started crying hysterically. She just broke down, and watching her like this I didn't know what to speculate. I didn't know how will she handle things now; will she be able to forget what she had just done? Or will she blame again?

Life can be so unpredictable sometimes, and so cruel at the same time. I was feeling sorry for her, she has been coming to my clinic for almost a year now, and each new session with her is like dropping a bombshell all of a sudden. But I was proud of her for constantly trying to fight her past, her scars, and her broken heart until that very day when I saw a long deep scar on her wrist.

I gently stroke her hair and smiled, "I just hope that you won't have to face the difficulties from now on. I hope you can gradually forget all these memories and recreate a new one in your life."

"Thank you for everything, Dr. Evelyn." She sniffles

"Also, I am reconsidering the offer you have made, you know about the um, volunteer at the orphanage." She pinched the bridge of her nose and shuffle a little. "I will continue my high school; I mean you had said that I can save some money from volunteering, right? I hope you won't take that back."

"I won't," I chuckled

"I won't be able to forgive her for all those tormenting years but I'll try to...." She clears her throat and murmurs softly, "Stay in a contact with her."

"I am proud of you," I gave her a small hug and held her hands in mine. "I hope you would shine from now onwards." Being a psychiatrist is a challenging job, you cannot heal and save some people from their disturbance state but on the other hand, you can be greatly thankful for those people who took one major challenging step and trust us for their inner state of mind. And I'm proud of this girl in front of me for trusting me to heal her and save her. "I really am proud of you." I squeezed her hands lightly.

She nods and gave her a bright smile. That smile which can light up the whole world.

The afternoon was hectic when I have to deal with the number of people asking me about the earlier incident with the police and I have to constantly remind them about the privacy rules. It was already four in the afternoon when I finally finished the last session of the day.

I walked into the park beside the clinic with a hot cup of latte and sat in a distant corner away from the kids and other people. The strong aroma of caffeine filled my nostrils as I breathe in the air around me and that alone was enough to energize my system. I kept my eyes closed and rested my head as I sipped the latte.

I was enjoying a brief time with nature when suddenly I was disturbed by the loud sipping noises. I tried ignoring it but five minutes later I got a sudden irritation inside my guts and I unwilling opened my eyes out of frustration only to catch sight of a holy Greek god.

Shit!

What is he? A freaking holy Apollo from Greek mythology??   

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Jun 04, 2022 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Shine For Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें