Chapter 9: I Almost Died, But At Least We Got It On Video

Will agreed to drive us all out to Deschutes National Park on Tuesday, the second official day of spring break

Will agreed to drive us all out to Deschutes National Park on Tuesday, the second official day of spring break. I worked a full shift at La Promenade on Sunday and Monday. I didn't see Jackie on either of those days, but since the cafe was busy as ever with tourists as well as regulars pouring through at every hour of the day, I didn't have too much time to dwell on it or feel too disheartened. Still, that didn't stop me from glancing toward the booth at the front of the cafe where she usually sat, as if she could suddenly appear there at any moment. I still caught myself looking up whenever someone entered the cafe, my heart sinking ever so slightly when it wasn't a woman with a shock of curly blonde hair and clear blue eyes and a warm smile filling the doorway.

Willow was on spring break too, so she was free to help us with the shoot, and on Tuesday morning, as Willow went to retrieve her old bike, a text from Will came through my phone (I had given him my number on Saturday as a necessary evil for coordinating getting to the national park).

Tuesday 10:05am

Will: Ford truck full of mics, wires, cameras, three band members and your chauffeur coming your way.

Willow and I waited outside our apartment building, our bikes mounted and on their stands next to us. I tapped my phone anxiously as a couple of cars rolled by on an otherwise quiet street, keeping my eyes peeled for the blue Ford truck I remembered seeing in Will's driveway. It definitely looked big enough to hold all of our equipment, but counting all, we would have six people in the truck as well. I have a half-crazed imaginary scene play out in my head of us getting pulled over for trying to stuff six people in a four-seat truck, Ms. Dunham at school finding out about it somehow, and suspending both me and Will for good, eliminating any chance I had at music school. But when Will pulled up minutes later, my worries on that were swept aside somewhat. I caught a glimpse of Danny, Ryder, and Olivia in the back, Olivia between the two boys, squished a bit but all, thankfully, with their own seats. That left Will in the driver's seat, and two more seats in the front, which Olivia, Ryder, and Danny had so kindly left for us.

Willow and I made our way to the other side of the truck, Danny helping us to put our bikes in the bed of the truck. Will opened the door wide for us, and Willow hesitated for a second, looking at the two seats at the front with a hint of uncertainty on her face.

"Do you want me to sit in the middle?" I whispered to her; secretly, desperately hoping I wouldn't have to, but I had to ask. Willow tends to be pretty shy around people she doesn't know. I didn't want to put her in a position that would make her feel uncomfortable; although my discomfort at having to sit right next to Will would be perhaps almost on par.

Willow took in a deep breath, then shook her head, hauling herself up into the truck and setting down in the middle seat before Will could extend his hand to help her.

I clambered in after her and shut the door, and then we were on our way, speeding past the small streets of Oak Point, passing by the trees and small shops and corner stores of the town. Will glanced at Willow, though she was staring straight ahead, not making eye contact with him, looking rather rigid and stiff.