𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗲.

chapter one

{ unedited }

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, Jordan Campbell was a rather lazy girl

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, Jordan Campbell was a rather lazy girl. If she could, she would stay in bed all day. She wouldn't be on the cheerleading team. She wouldn't even go to school. She didn't care about her grades or school in general. She actually hated it, with the way she had hundreds of eyes on her every single minute of every day just waiting for her to slip up so they could use something against her. Unfortunately, that was how it was in the closed-minded town of Hawkins. To be both a woman and a person of colour, Jordan was scrutinised by all those she comes across. It was how it was in the entirety of America but it was worse in Hawkins. That was what pushed Jordan to try with everything in her.

It just so happened that sometimes that push came in the form of Elias Burton. The boy who took up the role of Jordan's fake boyfriend slammed open Jordan's room door, stirring her from her sleep. "Good morning, Jordan!" He called and Jordan groaned, rolling onto her side since she already knew what he was going to do. It was the same thing he did every school morning―jumping on her bed and tickling her until she got up.

Fortunately for Jordan, he headed straight for her closet but not before pulling open her curtains. "It's the first day of our senior year, we gotta make you hot enough to piss off all the judgy idiots. We already know they're gonna be looking like the shitheads they are." Jordan peeled her eyes open, squinting under the sunlight shining into her room. Elias looked through her clothes, letting out sounds of disapproval every few seconds before spinning around to face her. "Do you really have nothing that doesn't scream raging queer? We're tryna keep you closeted, Jo, not out you because of your questionable fashion choices."

"You're not one to talk," Jordan grumbled, pulling her blankets over her head. Jordan didn't exactly have a specific clothing style she stuck with―if she liked something it'll be in her closet. It didn't matter how different it was from each other, it would be added in. Elias, on the other hand, stuck strictly to one style which was tees, button-downs or polo shirts but he also had a love for funky disco clothing. But, unlike Jordan who was always judged for her clothing but didn't let it get to her, Elias was praised for his unique choices and she hated that. She hated that boys got to wear whatever and they wouldn't be talked down but god forbid a girl would rather be comfortable than dressed up.

"I'm serious! You might as well come in your cheerleading outfit. Actually don't, they'll just say you're being obnoxious and showing off you're already back on the team without tryouts. God, why are people so annoying?" Elias complained as he jumped onto Jordan's bed, pulling her blankets down. "Should I just wear one of your dresses and make people stare at me instead?"

"Do you wanna get expelled?" Jordan chuckled tiredly as she lifted her hands up to rub her eyes with her palms. Jordan didn't put it past Elias to wear a dress to school but she could already imagine all the slurs that would be thrown his way. People truly were annoying that way.