Chapter 4

It was late in the evening of a long, tiring day sorting orders; unpacking, repacking and hauling boxes; and taking calls, but Ling felt the bone-deep satisfaction of a good day's work. The new orders pouring in were encouraging. Word was spreading that her prices were at least 15% lower than her competitors, thanks to Tita Emma's contacts. Even Hera seemed to have perked up--she'd been very helpful fielding their orders from their social media accounts, and had been careful filling up their inventory form. Ling only had to re-do three of her entries!

She couldn't believe it, but she might be warming up to the girl.

"I'll go upstairs, Manang," Hera said, emerging from the bathroom, hair wrapped in a towel and smelling strongly of bath soap.

Ling wrinkled her nose as she caught a whiff of her own shirt--she needed a shower. Urgently.

"Go ahead. Thank you for today, Hera. You were great."

The girl beamed, like she wasn't used to being complimented. Maybe that was the trick? Positive affirmation?

Hera's tongue poked into her cheek, and Ling knew the angelic streak was about to end. She flounced into the seat across from her and squealed.

"He called you palangga!" There was a ringing sound in Ling's ears. "Manang!!! Did you see his face? Ka-cute sa iya. Oh my god, that was the most kilig moment ever!" She pressed her fists into her cheeks and let out another ear-splitting squeal.

"Hera, please, you'll wake the neighbors," she tsked, pulling at her earlobe. Was unintended deafness going to be a side effect of living with her?

Hera waved a hand, dismissing their neighbors' concerns. "Tell me about him, manang? When did you date? Why did you break up? Now that you've found each other, will you go out with him again?"

Ling held up her own hand and started ticking fingers. "Not tonight; a long time ago; we didn't exactly break up; and I don't know. Now will you please go to sleep like you said?"

Hera spun around the room, hugging herself. "Fine. Good night, Manang Ling! Be a good girl!"

Ling had to smile as Hera practically floated up to their shared bedroom loft and shut the newly installed door behind her.

Finally, peace and quiet.

She tidied up the last of the scraps of paper, tape, and scissors, and nudged boxes aside to make a path to the bathroom. Finally, a long, leisurely shower.

But she was only halfway through shampooing when knocks sounded against the door to her office/apartment.

"Wait lang!" she called out, hurrying to rinse her hair and get the door. She remembered re-ordering recyclable bags for the smaller deliveries–the bags were supposed to arrive tomorrow, but sometimes the supplier delivered early. Still, safety first: she pulled the chain bolt on before opening the door to peek at her visitor.

"Sino po–"

She coughed as the words stuck in her throat.

SJ San Joaquin stood behind her door.

"Good evening, Ling."

"Oh. Oh!" She realized she was in a ratty bathrobe, hair haphazardly wrapped in a towel, back still mostly wet because she hadn't been able to dry it thoroughly in her haste to answer the door. She shut it closed and ran back to the bathroom. "Wait there! I need to finish my shower!"

"Take your time."

Ten minutes later, properly dressed in her favorite pajamas (and bra; it was a work visit after all), she opened the door.