Chapter Twenty six

"It's like 9 in the morning Y/n." Sapnap said groggily, rubbing his eyes. He walked over to me and picked up my glass, sniffing it. "What so now you've taken up day drinking?"

I yawned and shrugged. "It's not like I have anything better to do." Sapnap studied me for a moment. 

"Since when did you drink?"

I took a gulp of bourbon. "I don't." I looked at him. "But I have a massive hangover right now."

Sapnap raised his eyebrow as I refilled my glass. "And more alcohol is the solution?" 

"Isn't alcohol always the solution?" I grinned at him. "Do you want some?" I offered him the bottle. 

He shook his head. "No I'm good."

"What, you don't want to be my drinking buddy?" I pouted at him. 

"You know, I would love to, but I have some things to do today and I think it's better if I stay sober for it." He grimaced. 

"Sounds important." I commented. "Must be boring as hell." 

"I'm paying George a visit." Sapnap said, looking away. "Try to calm the waters."

"Oh." Was all that I could say. 

"I know that he's mad at me right now and I'm mad at him, but," He sighed. "He's my best friend, you know? No matter what we go through, he's always going to be my best friend. And, I hate being mad at him. You probably don't understand since you're probably drunk out of your mind but it's nice having someone to talk to since Dream is out most of the time."

I didn't say anything for a moment. "Me and Tommy got into an argument." I said quietly. "Multiple actually. In fact, it seems as though arguing is all we do ever since the whole exile thing. And you're wrong." He raised his head slightly to face me, his eyes looking into mine. 

"I do understand. I understand everything that you're saying - which means that I am still too sober to have this conversation." I finished the rest of my drink before pouring some more. 

Sapnap looked at me with what seemed like pity in his eyes. He nodded slowly and stood up. "Well, I'll see you later Y/n." And with that, he left the house, the door closing softly behind him. I turned back to my glass, looking at my own reflection in the liquid. The circles under my eyes were evidence of my lack of sleep and my skin looked pale, almost translucent. 

"I was hoping that he could talk some sense into you but all I got from that conversation is how much of an alcoholic you had become." Dream's voice came from beside me. I turned to him and scoffed at his lame joke. I had been so lost in thought that hadn't even noticed him sitting in the seat that Sapnap had occupied only moments before. 

"You know, it's rude to eavesdrop." I said, not smiling. 

"Well, I think that you have something of mine." He said, whispering now, even though we were the only two in the house. "And I would very much like it back."

I lifted my glass to my lips and took a sip. "I have no idea what you're talking about." 

"Oh but I think you do." He said. He reached out for my glass and finished the rest of my drink. His hand rested on my thigh. "After that little conversation last night, I think you know exactly what I'm talking about." 

I gave him a very unfunny smile and leaned in slightly. "Is this your plan? To seduce me into telling you?" I took his hand off me. "Nice try, but I don't care anymore."

"Is that what you're trying to convince yourself?" Dream questioned. "That you don't care about anything or anyone anymore?" I couldn't get myself to look at him so I turned away, looking at the empty glass. 

"I did care." I said. "And then Karl stabbed me and then I realized that I cared too much. And that's why I'm here now,  drinking my problems away. And it's pathetic. I'm pathetic." Dream looked at my sympathetically. 

"It's not pathetic to love," He said quietly. "It's human."

I turned my head slightly to face him. "Which idiot came up with that?" I laughed lightly. Dream smiled too, looking at me. 

"A genius who showed me that having feelings was okay." He said. "A girl who was stubborn, smart and compassionate. A girl who, time after time, risked everything for her friends and her country." 

"Yeah, she sounds great." I said, still staring at the empty glass. "I'm sure she would've never been selfish enough to sell her best friend's disc for her freedom. I'm sure she would've never gotten to this sad stage of drinking her life away." 

"She hasn't just disappeared you know." Dream told me. "She still inside. She might be a little lost, but she's in still there." He pointed to my heart. "I know she is." 

I didn't want to tell him that he was wrong. That 'she' died when I drove a knife through my brother's heart. "Yeah well, you tell me if she decides to turns up." I got off my stool and I could still feel Dream's eyes on me. 

"Oh and by the way," I said, turning behind me to look at Dream. "If you're still looking for it, there's no point. It's hidden in a place that you'll never look."

Dream sat up a little straighter. "What are you talking about?" I smiled sweetly at him. 

"What do you think?" I said, leaning back onto the kitchen counter. 

"Y/n, where is it?" 

I picked up an apple from the fruit bowl and inspected it. "It doesn't matter where it is, you can't get to it." I took a bite out of the apple. 

"Tell me." I swallowed my mouthful of fruit and a small smile pulled at my lips. 

"You told me once that the village you lived in burnt down. All of it was destroyed," I looked up at him. "except..."

"...the library." Dream said slowly in realization. He looked up at me. "But it's not there anymore. They teared it down and turned it into a factory." 

"Exactly." I was still smiling at him, waiting for him to realize what was going on. "You can't get to it."

At last, he put the pieces together. "But you can." He said slowly, mostly to himself. "Only you and Karl." 

I nodded, my smile only growing. "See? It's not a question of where it is. It a question of when it is."

For the first time, Dream was looking at me in fear. Genuine fear of what I had done. Fear, because I was the very first person on this server that had something over him. Something big. Everyone knew that Dream had always been in charge of the game and the rest of us pieces on a chess board. But, now, he was a pawn, part of a much bigger game that I was playing. A game where he didn't know the rules. A game, where I finally had the power. 

I had power over the most powerful person in these lands. 

"It's in the old literature section. In between Alice in Wonderland and The Great Gatsby." I told him. "That's where you'll find The Revival Book."