01

It was just a silly little crush.

At least that's what Steven tells himself every time he'd catch a glimpse of you roaming around the museum all by yourself. He wasn't even sure when his stomach started doing those excited flips at the mere sight of you. Steven hardly looked past the image of people he'd meet on the streets each day, much like they did to him. The only ones he had truly acknowledged in his life were his co-workers— no matter how unbearably invisible he was to them to the point that they never used his actual name— his poor, lovely mother who was probably up at night worrying about him, that champ of a street performer he'd always confide to about his woes, and of course, saving the best for last, his one finned pet Gus.

So it was indeed a wonder how he found himself admiring a random somebody from afar one fine day.

"Stevie, you better hurry on with that lot," Donna snapped through her gum chewing as she came by the counter, interrupting him from his daze.

Steven blinked a few more times and only then did he sheepishly smile. "Right right, sorry. I'm on it." His reply was met by the usual sneer and the rolling of her eyes before she walked away.

Shaking his head— it was honestly difficult to focus with the lack of proper sleep mind you— he went back to his previous chores; sorting out souvenir items. Steven eventually sighed. While he was somewhat content with what his current job entails him to do, deep inside he wanted to be more than just the typical gift shop clerk who did nothing but sell treats to children.

He paused for a second and studied the vast environment he was in, the rich stories behind every statue of these higher beings, the thousand years of history that was laid bare for everyone else to get a better, easier grasp of the ancient times...

To Steven Grant, there was so much to tell about the world we were living in.

And more often than not, the writings along with these displays truly didn't do justice at all. Unfortunately, Donna has always been so quick to dismiss and shatter his dreams of being a tour guide with her constant jab of hurtful words.

Leveling his gaze at the other visitors, his thoughts slowly but surely wandered back to a particular someone he had been eyeing these past couple of days— he swore to his mum that he wasn't being a creep about it and it was mainly curiousity ushering him to. You were like any normal bystander who frequented the gallery; now that he was much more aware of your presence, Steven embarrassingly admitted that he began noticing you dropping by every other day. He came to assume that you were perhaps staying nearby or your work was just right around the corner.

Steven could feel himself break into a small, shy grin. There was a reason why he was trying his very best to improve his morning habits recently and catch up with the bus on time. He didn't want to be stuck in another shift at inventory for a week, because that would mean he'd miss the opportunity of seeing you waltz into the museum.

Laughter bounced off the walls and Steven raised his head at the children's echoes, his eyes searching for a certain person's familiar shadow. A flock of students came into view instead, and suddenly everything clicked back to when you first stood out from the sea of everybody's.

People loitering around was something of an ordinary occurrence and he too had his own experiences of dealing with a bunch of kids, adults even worse, putting their trash into exhibits they shouldn't be. Steven remembered plucking a piece of smelly plastic from under the glass cabinet that housed a mini egyptian tomb since it was sticking out like an eyesore and he had seen the culprit sprinting away. He sighed, disappointed. Some people didn't know how to care for and showed little to no appreciation at these artifacts.

Steven was on his way to throw it, but not before he glanced the other direction. He instantly felt ashamed. Your expression was twisted in displeasure at the empty soda can right in front of the replicated great pyramid of Giza. He expected you to leave it be, he wished that you had left it so he could take it on his way too without looking so lame on top of his awkward demeanor. However you pulled out a tissue, grabbed the can with it and then sauntered towards him. Well, towards the bin really.

"People these days have no manners." He heard you say with a frown etched on your face and right when he was about to utter his thanks, you were already drifting apart from him.

He would have forgotten about the whole interaction (can you even call it an interaction if he was just staring there dumbly whilst you threw the rubbish in?) if it weren't for the fact that you were present the next day.

It was the little things afterwards that he couldn't help but to take note of.

Steven once thought that you belonged to a batch of tourists seeing how you were quietly trailing at them together with the museum's very guide, Dylan. With his gaze occasionally following you every time you were on sight, he soon learned that you stopped by the place on your own. He could see how immersed you always were listening to Dylan talk about various egyptian lores, even unknowingly nodding at times with arms crossed, before you'd secretly stray away from the group at the end of the tour.

Your fascination to the abundant historical pieces was clear, which also made Steven realize his growing attention at the tiniest of details; how you'd tilt your head in interest at the display in front of you, hover at its description with eyes so serious and your hands clasped behind your back, or how you would spend a good ten minutes at each art as if you were lost in their beauty as much as he is when turning the pages of his books at home.

"Oi wake up you lazy bloke," the loud tap on the counter had Steven visibly flinching that he almost dropped a toy from his grip, "What in bloody hell's are you smiling about?"

"W–what?"

"W–what?" Donna mimicked him in a mocking tone, "It's been way past opening and you still haven't sold any of this." She waved a packet of jellies from the tray, slapping it back down with force.

"But it's still morning," Steven told her and Donna responded with a glare.

"Well they aren't going to sell themselves, are they? Have you been actually doing your job instead of day dreaming they'd be sold out by now," she scoffed, shooting him down one last time, "And technically it's almost noon so chop chop."

Steven looked at her retreating form, dumbfounded. He clenched his jaws in an attempt to steady himself yet again from his boss' harsh way of reprimanding him, on public nonetheless. With his shoulders sagging and his back hunching, he spotted the building's clock as its hand struck another minute.

11:47 a.m.

Letting out a huff, he gazed around for no apparent reason. His eyes brightened in recognition and he automatically straightened up once he saw you stepping foot through the museum's large, open doors. The initial heaviness in his chest felt lighter now in comparison, giving off an abrupt fluttering as it tugged on his insides.

Steven consciously fixed his mess of a hair.

Right, it was just a silly little crush.

A/N:

Watched the 1st ep of Moon Knight and I believe my man's Steven Grant deserves to be showered with affection so this is going to be pre canon of the series because he needs someone to love him 😡