Who I'll Become (2)

Jack leaned his forehead against Leo's chest, taking a few breaths to calm himself. "What am I supposed to say after that?"

"You can say anything you want." Leo kissed the top of his head, resting timidly below him, feeling warm in the sun. "You always can."

He recalled Finn's first visit to The Glass House, when they told Jack he could do or say anything. It was true. It had been true for a while. He already knew it then, he was just too wrapped up in his own worries to accept it.

Staring down at Jack's red hair, he wondered what it would have been like if he'd given in sooner. Where would they be right now? Would anything be different? It didn't really matter. That was time they couldn't get back, but he would spend the rest of his life making up for every missed moment.

After another deep breath, Jack looked up and stepped back. He took the wooden ring from Ellie and slipped it over Leo's finger, then grasped his hand.

"You say you don't know who you are now, but to me, you've always been this person." His eyes danced, making Leo's heart race. "You can be confusing, but I've always seen you. Maybe that's why it was so frustrating. You thought you were cold, but you've always been warm. You thought you were emotionless, but you were always full of feeling. You thought you were scary, but you were always sweet. You're still learning to express it, but it was always there."

Jack weaved their fingers together and his smile grew. "I didn't create you. You created yourself. You took those steps and made those decisions. Those walls came down because of you."

It was a sweet sentiment and partially true, but Leo would never believe that. Without Jack, there would be no one to let in. Without Jack, there would be no decisions to make or steps to take. He loved Ellie, so he could have learned to be a decent father, but with Jack, he was a lover, a partner, and a friend, and it made him a better person. A real person.

Jack's head hung again as he continued. "Before we met, I had my own walls. I was scared and lonely."

Moving his fingers under Jack's chin, Leo forced him to meet his gaze. They both had a past, but there was no need for shame.

"I smiled and laughed, but it only covered the anxiety and depression. I know you struggled too, but in my eyes, you're direct and determined. The world doesn't dictate who you should be and you never compromise when it comes to the people close to you. Whoever you become, it'll be entirely you. And that gives me the strength to be me."

Looking down at Ellie, still standing quietly at his side, Jack ran a hand over her wavy hair. "I never thought something like this was possible. From the moment you walked into this house, my life hasn't been the same. I'm a husband and a father, and I'm not lonely anymore. Now, I smile and laugh because I'm genuinely happy. You treat yourself like you're less important than those around you, but you made this happen. And I'll be forever thankful for that."

A breath caught in Leo's throat. He knew Jack loved him, more than anyone could or ever should. And he loved him as much in return. But Jack was always so confident in that love while he had always faltered. He never realized that maybe Jack was just as lost and needed him just as much. Maybe they were both starting over as someone better.

Jack stared at him for a moment, green eyes searching him, then stepped close, pulling his arms around his waist.

"This is a family of three. It isn't my world. It's our world. Whatever happens, we'll share it together." Placing a hand on Leo's chest, Jack glanced at his wooden ring. "You don't owe me any more than I owe you, so this is a new, equal beginning. Right?"

It was if he had read his mind. Leo nodded, tightening his hold. "Right."

Everything he had been – abandoned child, foster child, Lost Horizon, free-agent – Nate, the Magpie, Sam – that was all gone. Now he had a family and a home, and could finally live the normal life he wanted.

There was a soft chuckle from the officiant. "I can tell by the continually decreasing distance between you two that you're ready for this. So, by the powers vested in me by the State of New York, I now pronounce you married. You may kiss your husband."

Leo didn't hesitate. In one quick motion, he bent down and lifted Jack, arms and legs wrapping around him. With a light giggle, Jack leaned down and kissed him, getting loud cheers from their audience of two.

Taking a breath, their eyes met, both smiling and shining. They each let out a short laugh.

"Welcome to the family, Leo Glass," Jack said with the brightest smile Leo had ever seen. "That name is real, and yours forever."

They kissed again until they were interrupted by an energetic Finn. As soon as Jack's feet touched the ground, their small friend was on his back, pecking at his cheek. Leo scooped his daughter into an arm. Smiling sweetly at him, Jade only rested a light hand on his back. She had been surprisingly quiet the past few weeks, but she couldn't hide the warm look she always gave him now. On both sides, there had been mistrust and misunderstandings. In a weird way, their silence was like a mutual apology and a chance to start a new relationship.

"You my dada again?" Ellie asked, and he nodded, giving her a soft smile. She copied his nod and smiled back. "Good."

He chuckled at her approval. "You know, Ellie... Jack has been your dad longer than I have now, but you still call him Jack. Shouldn't he also be your dada?"

She gave him a questioning look as Jack joined them, Finn still hanging from his shoulders.

"But, you is Dada," she argued, not sure why their names would change. "Jack is Jack. And both you Dada Jack."

Placing her on her feet, he crouched down and took her hand. "Don't you want people to know Jack is your dad? They won't know if you call him Jack."

Her eyes widened at that. "They won't?"

"No."

"Oh..." Ellie's brow sank and she pouted. Then her free hand gripped Jack's fingers. "Sorry, Dada. I call you Dada too."

With a warm smile, Jack knelt down to kiss her cheek. "It's okay, my precious girl. I always knew I was your dad. But it would be nice if others knew too."

She gave him a determined nod and he chuckled, petting her hair. Standing, he turned to Leo and pointed to the house.

"Before we go, I have something to show you. I've had it a long time now, but you can think of it as a wedding gift."

Leo eyed him and Jack only grinned. He took his hand, leading him back into the sitting room, then down the hall to his bedroom.