Chapter Eleven

The Forest dragged on without end.

     Claire was using the dowsing rod in her attempt to find Rick and Mari, but the rod wasn't tugging no matter where she went, or how far.

     Maybe the limitation is that we can't find people with the rod. Claire thought, annoyed. She tried retrocognition, but even that had its range, which Claire now doubted that Rick and Mari were in the area.

     At least I know they haven't been killed yet. One bit of silver lining in the whole situation. Much like Jim, Rick and Mari would be visible if he had caught them.

     "Claire?" A feminine voice asked.

     Claire didn't need to turn to know that it wasn't Will behind her. "Is Rick with you, Mari?" Claire smiled as she turned toward her friend.

     "Of course." Rick replied, coming out from the tree. "We realized that Will was chasing you instead of us."

     "I think it was because of your berserker attack." Mari smirked.

     "Ah, yeah." Claire blushed. "Just all the rage I had pent up over the years, I guess."

     "We thought that you were a goner though." Rick said, there was a suspicious tone in his voice. "But you managed to survive."

     "Will might be all-powerful, but he has limits." Claire said, as she scratched the back of her head.

     "How?"

     Claire grinned. "He can't destroy the trees."

     To Claire's surprise, Rick started laughing. "Of course there are rules!" He wheezed. "All games have rules! Even the monsters have to follow them!"

     Mari placed an arm around Rick, surprised by his sudden outburst. "Rick, are you all right?"

     "I'm perfect." Rick said, as he pulled Mari's arm off of his shoulder. "I think we have a better chance now. The monster has a weakness, he can't destroy the environment!"

     "So, are you saying that we should hide in the trees?" Mari asked.

     "No." Claire said, softly. "We don't know about the other areas. The Farmhouse and City are likely to be free of such restrictions being that they are constructs that could be repaired. Unlike the natural trees."

     Rick shook his head "Perhaps, or perhaps it'll be too much effort for the fae to rebuild using human architecture."

     "Look!"

     Mari pointed toward a light in the distance.

     "How did you see that?" Claire asked, the light was too far for her to see.

     Shrugging, Mari gave her an "I don't know" look.

     A nagging feeling hit Claire, as the light seemed more from an unnatural source, like it was from a house.

     "Is that a farmhouse?" Rick asked, incredulously. "No way!"

     "But...we haven't found the key component yet!" Mari exclaimed.

     Claire nervously chuckled as she realized where the nagging feeling came from. She searched through pockets and pulled out the two components she found. "About that..." Claire said.

     Both Rick and Mari stood dumbfounded by the revelation. "You definitely have been busy." Rick finally said.

     For a moment, Claire was worried that Rick's paranoia would come back, but the accusation of being with the fae never appeared. I suppose that they were responsible for the attitude adjustments. Claire thought. There were a lot of things that seemed too good to be true. Perhaps this is the fae progressing what they want for their story.

     "Nice going Claire!" Mari congratulated.

     "Uh, thanks." Claire couldn't think of anything to say in the moment. Classic Claire. She chided herself.

     "We're about to beat the fae at their own game." Rick grinned.

     If there was something that Claire could say about Rick that remained consistent, it was that he hated the fae. When we're out of here, I should really get behind the story behind that hatred. Claire thought.

     For a moment, Claire thought that Rick was going to tell them to charge toward the Farmhouse. Instead, he turned toward Claire. "We're going to need if he's anywhere nearby." Rick said.

     Claire nodded, walked over to a tree, and placed a hand on it. Inhaling deeply, Claire closed her eyes.

                                                                                              ********

     Nothing seemed to be visible in the Forest to Claire's vision. There was a distinct cloudiness to her vision, one that she hadn't seen before.

     What the hell is going on? Claire wondered.

     The cloudiness turned to darkness, and in the darkness, Claire could hear something running. There was only one way Claire could describe the running, it was animalistic.

     Will was coming.

                                                                                                 ********

      Claire came out of her trance, gasping. "Run." Claire managed to get out, she looked up toward the farmhouse. "He's coming!" She said with a more forceful tone.

     "To the house, we should be safe there!" Rick said, loud enough for Claire and Mari to hear.

     We don't know that. Claire wisely kept that to herself. Even though Claire didn't think that Will wouldn't break through the Farmhouse's wall, they should be able to find somewhere to hide inside. Plus, Claire wasn't certain if the creatures in the trees would appreciate two more strangers hiding in the trees.

     And Claire wasn't completely certain that she was entirely welcomed by the creatures before.

     The trio were running as quickly as they could, Claire found herself behind the other two. Damn, I'm still winded! Claire found herself slowing down, and then she collapsed onto the ground. I'm finished. Claire waited for her inevitable doom.

     "C'mon!" Claire felt strong arms pick her up.

     "You're not finished yet!" Another set of arms, not as strong as the others took her other side. "We're not leaving anyone behind!"

     Mari. Claire thought, weakly. Rick. Using my powers must use up my strength.

     And as Rick lifted Claire onto his back, she was out cold.