Chapter 3 - A New World Order

Percy soon realised how difficult this was going to be.

Not only was nearly everyone wounded in some shape or form but after having to flee Camp Half-Blood, no one seemed prepared to move very quickly. He struggled to get the few who were still alive into some sense of determination. Though they had just lost their home, and Percy had of course also lost his mother.

The demigods had fled before the Titans, and had left nothing between them and the world.

The food and supplies that had been taken from Camp before it was destroyed lasted only a few days in the Labyrinth. Percy wasn't sure where they were going, or what the plan was, but Hades didn't seem concerned so he didn't ask.

The god kept them moving, occasionally claiming a place was safe to rest, and so the demigods slept fitfully whilst they rotated around on watch. Percy was up for two extra hours every night to take his turn on watch, before he would shake Annabeth awake and she would jerk as she reached for her dagger. Percy was just as twitchy as her, having a hand on Riptide at all times just in case he needed it. Whether it was in sword form or spinning the pen between his fingers, just for something to do to occupy himself with.

It was when they were down to their last day of provisions that Hades finally spoke to the demigods trailing after him and hoping for some divine intervention.

Hades' eyes lingered briefly over two demigods whom had infected injuries. Will could only heal so much, being only one of two sole survivors of the Apollo cabin, and these injuries were beyond him. Clearly, both Hades and Nico could tell that these two demigods were close to death. "I need volunteers," Hades said, "we're running out of food for all of you. Some of you will have to do a run to the surface and find us enough food."

Percy raised his hand. "I'll go," he said. It made sense. He was one of the only uninjured demigods.

He was somewhat surprised when Clarisse stood up across from him. "I'll go too," she firmly said.

"You won't be able to bring your spear," Hades warned her. "It's too obvious."

Percy nodded his head slightly. He could get away with Riptide, the sword being easily hidden, but a giant spear? "I'll go instead," Annabeth suggested. She'd lost her own dagger, but she'd brought Malcolm's with her. That at least would still be easily hidden – and she knew how to use it.

"And me," Nico said firmly. "You might need a quick escape."

Percy nodded his head slightly. Three demigods. Just like a quest. "Okay," Percy whispered. His fingers twitched nervously on Riptide, the pen in his hand. Percy didn't know what the word above them would be like, he knew time moved differently between the Labyrinth and the surface. "Any guesses on what we'll face?" Percy asked.

Hades shook his head slightly. "No. More time would have passed on the surface than down here," he warned Percy. "There's no telling what the Titans have done with the surface now."

Percy nodded slightly. "Right," he agreed. Percy didn't have a clue either. Would the Titans have exterminated all life, or left humans alone? Percy recalled the mortals in Manhattan pointing up at the sky and screaming as they watched Olympus burn above the Empire State Building, so at least he figured the Mist might be gone. But other than that, Percy couldn't be sure.

"Hey," Will said as he pulled Percy aside while they were trying to find enough to pack for their excursion onto the surface. "So, I need some antibiotics," he said to Percy. "Medical supplies. I don't know how long the nectar and ambrosia can last, but some of these injuries are infected and I'm trying to ration." He looked extremely stressed, and Percy grimaced slightly. "I – I just, we need more. So if you get the chance – please grab some?"