chapter twenty-five: storytelling under Christmas lights

-Peter's POV-

"So I've been trying to figure out what I wanna get Athena for Christmas. And I think I've finally got the perfect idea. But I've gotta clear it with you first."

"Alrighty," Cap nodded. "What've you got?"

With a hesitant breath, I sighed it out. "I wanna get her... a um... dog? For Christmas? A puppy. Because we both kind of agreed that after we lost the baby... we'd benefit from something else to kind of... take care of, y'know?"

"I understand completely," Thankfully, Cap seemed rather happy with my idea. Which I'm very thankful for. I was at a loss for ideas for any other gift. Athena pretty much has everything. "I think it'll be a really good idea. For both of you. You'll have to exercise the dog and who knows? Maybe they'll become the Avengers mascot."

We both kinda laughed about the idea.

"I wanna go to the shelter. Since Natasha and Athena are off who knows where to look for gifts for us."

"We can do that," He nodded. "I'm just a little worried about someone seeing us and ruining the surprise."

"I'm willing to take the chance," I told him. "We've been talking about getting a dog since the baby. So I don't think it would be much of a surprise of a gift in general."

"No, no, I love the idea. Let's do it. We'll have to wait to get it on Christmas Eve so we can hide it better."

"Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Cap."

"Of course, buddy."

-Athena's POV-

"Pete, I don't think you should," I explained to my pouting boyfriend. "You're on crutches. I know it's a tradition we have and I know it's been forever, but maybe we can find something else to do until you're healed enough for it."

He wants to swing us up to the top of the apartment building near the house so we can lay and watch the stars together. It's a tradition we've had since we started dating almost three years ago.

Almost three years. Christmas Eve is our anniversary. And November is coming to an end soon. I can't believe it's been an entire three years.

Peter let out a rather heavy sigh. "If we were at my place we could sit out on the balcony and do it."

"I know," I sighed too. "But you wanted to be here and I understand that. Maybe tomorrow we can go to yours and stay at yours so we can watch the stars every night on your balcony. Of course, unless it's snowing. That would be super cold."

We both sat on my bed, quietly, trying our best to come up with something to do. We're bored, right before bed, and usually what we do is watch the stars because it makes us super zenned out and we're able to focus on each other instead of a screen like the tv or a phone.

But since his incident, and because he's physically unable to move around too much, we can't. The best we've got is the window in the living room but it's covered by the Christmas tree we decorated.

"Pete, that's it!" I gasped and grabbed his arm. "The tree! And the lights! We can shut all the lights off and get all cozy on the couch in front of the tree and its lights."

"Babe, have I told you how much I adore your brain?" Peter scoffed. "That's like a holiday version of our usual tradition. Why didn't I think of that before?"

"Because. I'm smarter," I smirked. He rolled his eyes and nudged me. "So, hey, let's get this incision of yours cleaned and dressed and then we can relax. Just in case we fall asleep out there. I wanna make sure you have brand new bandages and ointment and stuff on it overnight. It'll heal faster that way."

Peter just silently smiled up at me as I prepared his bandages and stuff. I met his eyes and blushed. "What?"

"You sound like a mom, babe."

I blushed even deeper. "Well. That's because I am one. Just because our baby isn't down here doesn't mean we aren't still parents. Like our ornament. We have an angel baby."

"That's a really beautiful way of thinking about it," He smiled, then hissed and flinched when I removed his last bandage. A stitch had gotten caught on the gauze and it pulled a little when it came off. "Ouch. Stitches, babe."

"Shit, I'm sorry," I bit my lip and my eyes watered a little. "I'm so sorry, love, I didn't mean it. I really didn't."

"I know, it's okay," He lifted my chin and sat up to kiss me gently. "I'm okay. No big deal. Just a little pull. Nothing I can't handle, babe."

"Okay," I looked back down at his scar and softly smiled. "Peter, it's healing so fast. I can't believe how well your body heals itself."

"Yours does it too."

"Yeah. But I'm not... Avenger by blood. I was adopted. Kind of. Remember?" I reminded him. "You're like- half spider, Pete. Your biology by definition is very different."

"I forgot you were adopted," Peter nodded. "Guess it just slipped my mind. You and your dad are so much alike that it's really hard to tell."

"Yeah. I wish. I never really seem to forget," I told him as I applied the ointment to his scar. Very, very gently. "I guess it's just hard for me to believe that someone like me could fit in with people like you guys. I was just some random, ordinary little kid left behind when the world panicked during a battle. Steve found me and took me in."

Peter was listening so intently. So I continued the story.

"He sat at his laptop for weeks trying to figure out who my birth parents were and if they were still alive and if they were looking for me. After a couple months he finally found out that they were on the list of people who were killed in the panic," I started rewrapping his leg. "So after that, he did all the legal stuff he needed to in order to have my custody with him. Which didn't really take much. I mean he's Captain America. Then, I was pretty much raised by the entire team."

"I've heard that story a million times but it sounds brand new every time you tell it," Peter told me, a look of adoration in his eyes. "Did you ever really learn about your parents? Who they were and what they looked like?"

"Yeah. My birth mom was a nurse and my dad was a lawyer. Apparently my dad was well known, they were loaded, and insanely self absorbed. It's- hard to miss someone you never really got to know. I was very little when it happened. I have no memory of the incident."

"Nothing?" Peter sat up after I finished his bandages. I helped him crutch out to the living room and got him settled on the couch with blankets. Then I turned the tree on and joined him. I laid between his legs against his chest as he hugged his arms around me.

"No. To this day I still question whether Tony had mind-wiped my brain of that memory. I don't know if he even has that kind of technology. But the guy's a total tech nerd so I wouldn't be surprised."

We both shared a laugh and I cuddled into his chest when his chin rested on the top of my head. "Well. I don't see you as less than just because you and Cap aren't blood. Regardless, you're his daughter and you're my girlfriend. That's how it is and it won't ever change."

A smile spread across my lips at his words. My eyes locked onto the reflection of the tree lights on the ceiling. Everything around us was pitch black except for the glowing tree.

"I love this," I sleepily mumbled. "I don't want this to ever end either."

"You sure you wanna go to my place tomorrow?" Peter chuckled a little as he tucked my hair behind my ear. "Because you're about to fall asleep. The stars never put you to sleep this fast."

"Whatever you wanna do," I whispered, barely still awake and coherent enough to formulate a response.

"What do I want?" He kissed my head and whispered. "Your presence. Your peace. Just like this. So I think we'll stay."

"I love you, Peter."

"I love you more, pretty girl," He lovingly smiled. "My beautiful girl."