Chapter 1

The Santa Carla Boardwalk had to be one of the most exhilarating places I had ever been. The scent of carnival food and the ocean stained the air in an oddly satisfying mix, and I couldn't help feel excited getting to explore its vast contents of stands and rollercoasters. Though I knew the only reason I felt so comfortable while surrounded by the hundreds of sweaty bodies that flowed in all different directions, was the fact that I was currently following closely behind my older brother Michael, who I was using as a shield to prevent any accidental human contact. That sounds bad, but I don't like strangers and I was not alone in my actions, my younger brother Sam closely following suit.

We had all just moved to Santa Carla with our mom after she had finally divorced our dad and decided for us to stay with our grandpa. She says it's to help look out for grandpa's health, but we know it's also because we aren't doing the best financially and it was the best option. Mom didn't want to screw dad over in the divorce and only insisted on keeping us kids, leaving dad the house and everything else. Something dad had no problem accepting. Personally, I think she should've fought to take him for all he was worth, but I also know she didn't want to hurt us kids by forcing us to watch them fight more than they had to. I say kids though technically two of us are already adults.

Michael and I are 19 year old twins (idk if this is canon but it is for this lol), Sam is only 14. Michael and I are staying to help support mom in any way that we can. Michael was basically unaffected by this choice due to him wanting to straight into the workforce after high school and the move only providing him with more options for work. I on the other hand had to put my plan to attend university on hold. I decided I would wait until I knew mom was back on her feet before working full time towards a degree in psychology. In the mean time I was able to find a class for literature at the community college here in Santa Carla that I'm starting next fall. I just want to make sure that mom is happy before I run off somewhere.

"So where are we going?" I heard Sam ask and I looked at Michael as I too wanted the answer. His reply was underwhelming and overall unhelpful to say the least. "No where."

"So what's our rush?" One of the best parts of having Sam as a little brother is that I never have to ask the questions to get the answers I'm looking for. "You're chasing that girl, aren't ya." He formed it as a question, but stated it as a fact. "Come on, come on, admit it! You're chasing her! Your at the mercy of your sex glands buddy!" I laughed at Sam's teasing.

The truth of where Michael was heading was of no surprise. Michael has this lovely habit of falling head over heals for every pretty girl he sees. Though I will give him credit they are very pretty. Especially the one he currently had his eye on. Her curly brown hair flowed a few inches past her shoulder and bounced with each step she took. She was graceful and gyspy-like in her attire, long sequin covered skirt and white tank top paired with the jewelry that adorned her wrists and ears. She was stunning. She was closely followed through the mass of bodies by a small boy, maybe ten, with shoulder length straight brown hair wearing an old hotel luggage boy type jacket.

"Sam," Michael started sternly, "do you have something better to do than follow me around all night?" "Yeah, actually I do!" Sam told him face lighting up as he realized we came to a stop in front of a large comic book store.

Michael continued walking the second Sam finished his sentence. I quickly turned to my younger sibling, "Be safe and don't overspend, ok?" He simply nodded before heading inside. I chose to continue following Michael, jogging slightly to catch up with him. He had gotten surprisingly far in only a few seconds.

"Soooo," I started to speak, my brother only glancing my way to show he was listening. "What're you gonna say once you catch up to her?" He hesitated for a split second before once again focusing on following the girl. "I don't know."