Part 39: Just us

Nick's POV

Early morning sunshine streams in through the gap in my bedroom curtains; it hits me straight in the face like a torch beam. As I squint and come to, I look over at Charlie who is still fast asleep next to me. He is laid on his front and has his right arm is laid across my chest; I realise we've hardly shifted since we fell asleep last night. I smile to myself.

I check the digital clock on my bedside table; its 9am although it feels earlier. It is rare for Charlie to sleep in, so I carefully shuffle out of bed as to not disturb him and tiptoe out of the room. I nip to the loo and then quietly make my way downstairs and straight into the kitchen; I always need a cup of tea first thing in the morning just like Mum does.

Unsurprisingly, Mum is already sat at the kitchen table with a steaming cup in front of her. She is doing a crossword on the tablet. As she hears me, she lifts her head and smiles.

'Morning love, is Charlie still asleep?'

'Yeah, he doesn't normally sleep in so I thought I'd leave him. Do you want another cup?' I ask as I switch on the kettle. She nods; I've never known mum to turn down a cuppa.

'You haven't forgotten that I'm going to the cinema and for lunch with Jane today have you?' She asks; of course I've forgotten.

'No of course not,' I lie. 'What time will you be home?' I enquire.

'Oh I don't know, you know what we're like when we get together; we might end up going for a drink after. I'll be back by nine at the latest.'

'OK, is Charlie allowed to stay for the day? I promise I'll get some revision done while he's here.' I ask.

'Yes he will,' Charlie interrupts as he walks into the kitchen. 'We can get some Chemistry done this morning and some English Lit this afternoon!' He states with a playful smile on his lips.

Mum chuckles, 'I see you've got the measure of him Charlie,' she responds to my boyfriend. 'And yes Charlie can stay for the day if it's okay with his parents,' Mum turns back to me and says.

Charlie and I grin at each other; a bonus day to ourselves.

'I'll just pop upstairs and check with Mum,' Charlie says.

Charlie's POV

Mum and dad were surprisingly fine with me staying at Nick’s for the rest of the day; they're taking Oliver to Grandma's to help her with the garden, so I would have just been at home anyway.

An hour later and Nick's mum waves goodbye to us from the hallway; we are camped on the dining table doing Nick’s revision as promised; Nick has managed to revise 2 full units already and I have been making some pretty stunning revision cards for him. I am in my geeky element.

As soon as the front door closes, Nick puts his pen down and looks at me with a mischievous smirk.

'Can I help you Mr Nelson?' I ask, playing dumb.

He wriggles his eyes at me, 'Oh I think you can!'

'Nick, as much as I would like to spend the rest the day making out; you are in the middle of your GCSEs and I don't want to be the reason why you don't do as well as you could do.'

Nick pretends to be hurt and holds his hand to his chest as if I've just shot his heart, 'but making out is so much more fun that this,' he responds pointing to the revision guides splayed out in front of him.

Feeling a little mean, I stand up and stroll around to his side; as I do he shuffles his chair back slightly. I sit on his knee and wrap my arms around his neck. 'I tell you what, let's keep revising for thirty more minutes, then we can do whatever you want for an hour..'