*~* Chapter Four: Big Man's Plea *~*

"This just in from Santa's Workshop." The speakers informed, the voice of an old accented woman sounding across the snowy field. "The world sits stunned from a shocking turn of events at the North Pole."

The crowd of people whipped out their phones and gasped in utter disbelief.

"It can't be true!"

"So close to Christmas?"

Yuki tilted her head. What's going on? She peered over the fence and caught comfortable sight of someone's screen, where a crowd of elf reporters stood eagerly around a stage. An older elf was perched behind a podium, his green hat nearly too big for his head (Kind of like his giant mustache...). Though his hair was gray and wrinkles creased his face, he stood sturdy with a determined air. Yuki beckoned the others to where she was as the announcement began.

"I can confirm the rumors. Blitzen announced retirement late last night, effective immediately." The gray haired elf updated from his podium. The crowd around him suddenly buzzed to life with questions.

"Was it a medical emergency?"

"A family crisis?"

"Or is he behind Dancer's conscious uncoupling, because there's been talk... and photos. They're everywhere."

The old elf let out an exasperated sigh. "Actually, the juice bar he'd been eyeing for a while... finally came on the market. We're calling our top draft candidates for an emergency tryout starting tomorrow."

Confusion and panic stirred in the crowd once again, starting up a new round of questions, a crowbar prying open the door of curiosity.

"You can't expect to find a replacement in three days?"

"What if someone else retires?!"

"Will there even be a Christmas?!"

"Does Blitzen do a pineapple açaí blend? Because I've been super sluggish lately."

The elf left everyone in their own puzzlement, stepping off the podium and striding backstage. "No more questions!"

The rusted speakers screeched as the broadcast ended, and Yuri's ears perked up. This was it.

Walter clicked off his phone and nodded to the crowd. "You here that? We have a tryout to get to!" His words were met with an eruption of cheers like a volcano.

"DJ'S GOING TO BIG LEAGUES!" DJ sang, trotting over to Yuki and dragging her back to the group by the horns. She heard Hazel giggle behind her. "DJ's going to big leagues!" He let go and began dancing and prancing around like a fawn. "DJ's going to big leagues, yes he is, YES HE IS-"

"Zip it rockstar." Clyde, a tall, bulky draft horse snapped, striding to the reindeer group. His dusty brown coat was beginning to gray with the weight of his age, but his intimidating air was more present than ever. Clyde, their coach. Well, other than Walter. Clyde was the only one who could speak to them.

"What's your problem, Clyde?" DJ groaned, stomping up to him. "Why you gotta rain on DJ's parade?"

"Who said you're our top pick?" Clyde snapped, with a glance towards Yuki.

Yuki's eyes flew wide, disbelief punching her in the gut and making her heart skip a beat. Me?

"Oh, I get it." DJ stole a glance at Yuki before buttering up, but his fury was undeniable. "You want DJ to be a little more reindeerly." He smiled charmingly, practically dripping with sarcasm. "Excuse me assistant coach, even though I am the greatest reindeer on this field, I humbly ask you for the honor- neigh, the privilege to serve as the Witty Bitty Farm's representative at the North Pole tryouts." He suddenly kneeled to a regal bow, casting a half-hearted glare up at the draft horse. "But only if it pleases you, Your Gracious...Imminence."