Chapter 14 | Fourteen

'Chapter 14 | Fourteen | Comeplete'

•••••

"Arthur take the baby off her for God sake, let the girl have a drink and a rest." Polly says.

"Oh no, honest it's fine, I'm just happy he's quiet, I've gotta get back to the rest of them." I shake my head. "Besides I'm thankful enough."

"Nonsense, you can have one drink." She shrugs off her coat as Mr Shelby puts his whiskey on the table and holds out his arms. He sees the unsure look on my face and takes the baby off of me.

I open my mouth to protest but as I do he places a finger on my lips.

"You owe me a favour luv, sitting down can be that favour considering ya still won't call me Arthur." He seems somewhat disappointed at his statement but soon picks up his whiskey and takes another sip.

"I owe you two now." I remind him looking shyly down at the floor, never being very good around new people such as this Polly lady.

"Evangeline," I look up at him. "Sit down." He whispers.

I sigh in defeat before sitting myself next to Polly.

"Is he yours?" John asks.

"No he's my cousin, I was babysitting." I sheepishly reply, clearly not have done a good job.

"You're Chelsea and Vinnie's daughter ain't ya?" Polly lights up another fag.

I nod.

"Are you the same Evangeline that gave Arthur that bacon sandwich the night he stayed round on that gypsy camp?" John asks somewhat bluntly.

"That would be me."

"Cracking sandwich that was." Mr Shelby reminisces as he lifts Archie up in the air, a smile on his face.

"Heard about that fuckin' thing for days." John groans.

"Ya didn't have to leave that money ya know? I tried to get Reg to run it to you but it was too late." I tell him.

"Sweetheart, you gave me breakfast, a place to sleep and a lovely last face to see before going to sleep." He tells me, putting Archie down onto his lap.

I shake my head smiling at his compliment, absolutely convinced that I'm blushing.

"What are you drinking, Evangeline?" Polly asks getting up from her chair.

"I promise you I'm fi-"

"What are you drinking." She commands more sternly, giving me a look that was a mix of 'don't fuck with me' and 'answer the question'.

"Gin please."

"Right, I'll be back in a second."

"Scary ain't she?" Mr Shelby smirks, sitting himself down next to me, Archie sitting happily on his lap. Supporting the baby with his left arm the other is swung round the back of me, gently pulling my back so that I'm leant against the cushion, rather than sitting on the edge of the cushion, back straight; clearly tense.

My legs are crossed as I try to prevent the bouncing of my knee however my foot then manages to jitter. I can tell Mr Shelby has realised this has he wraps his arm around me tighter, almost snuggling me into his side.

"Nicked Poll's seat, Arthur?" John teases with a grin as she comes back with some drinks.

"She was my friend first." He smirks.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but friends call each other by their first names do they not?" Polly fires back.

Mr Shelby shoots up, his arm coming away from me as he sits up right.

"I'm ya friend ain't I?" He looks almost offended.

"Yes, Arthur, you are my friend." I reassure him, purposely exaggerating his name. I can see his smile brighten as I say it; he resumes our previous position, almost cuddling.

"Music to my ears that." He grins, taking a big gulp of his whiskey before wrapping his arm back around me.

"Thankyou." I say as Polly pops down a gin infront of me, I take a small sip before placing it back down.

|| Time Skip ||

•••••

Fifteen minutes later and I'm still in the same spot, snuggled in to Arthur's side, his thumb gently caressing my arm every now and then. Little Archie has fallen asleep, his head resting on Arthur's chest. Within the private room, John has left and Tommy, Arthur's other brother has arrived. Upon entering Tommy made a comment; "you look complete Arthur, it suits you." But whether he meant having a baby boy on his knee or a lady next to him I'll never know, all I do know is I blushed, proper blushed. Now my glass is empty and the guilt of not getting home to my cousins is growing by the minute.

"Want another one?" Polly asks next to me.

"No thankyou, I've had a lovely time but I really have gotta get back to my cousins, it's already been half an hour." I politely decline, Polly sends me an understanding nod and Arthur shifts in his seat, standing up before whispering.

"Come on I'll take ya both home." He offers holding his hand out to me as he holds a sleeping Archie.

I smile at him, taking his hand before turning to face the other two.

"It was nice meeting you both." I say quietly, careful to not wake Archie.

"Likewise." Polly nods as Tommy just sends a twitch of a smile.

As we enter the main part of the pub, Archie begins to stir. I can see some peoples faces drop at the sight of Arthur, in fear or respect I don't know. But whatever it is it reminds me of what Pop told me; 'he is the devil in the flesh when he wants to be.' Shaking the thought of Arthur being anything of the sort, I continue to walk, everyone's eyes on us.

"Shut up ya pricks, can't ya see I got a sleepin' baby?" He warns sternly and they all quieten as we walk hand in hand out the doors.

Coldness is what greets us, along with the sound of my heels clipping on the concrete pavements of Small Heath. Hand in hand with a gangster that holds my sleeping cousin, now that's a sight. I feel somewhat 'complete', like Tommy said Arthur had looked. Walking alongside him, holding hands and a baby in his arms, as if we're a married couple walking home with our son, which is what I wish we were doing right now. I'm beginning to worry about all of these thoughts I'm having about Arthur Shelby.