제 29 과

I let Daisy avoid me until I figure what to do to make her stop being upset with me. I think of avoiding having lunch with the gang either but the idea of awkwardly sitting alone in the cafeteria while Jungwon constantly watches over me makes me sit at their table with no more suitable choice.

The guys know Daisy and I aren't getting along well. But they rather keep me distracted from the matter with their bubbly selves and buoyant conversations.

"So there'll be only us and several girls tonight. Right, Jay?" Niki starts, collecting everyone's attention at the table.

The last two days fly so fast that I was almost to dismiss today is Heeseung's birthday until Jungwon made sure I was coming to the party when we met at the parking lot this morning.

"Yeah. There's only seven of us and Daffodil, Nina, Kimberley and my cousins. Unless Heeseung wants to invite more." Jay replies.

A flicker of an idea snatches my mouth open.
"About that, Jay—and Hesseung."

Now all the eyes are set on me.
"I'm just wondering if I can invite Daisy to the party?"

"Daisy is your friend?" Heeseung wonders.

"Yeah, Jay knows her. She's like my only best friend."

"I'm good if Heeseung's good. It's your birthday after all, bro. Everything is your call today." Smirking, Jay pats the tall guy on his shoulder.

Heeseung smiles, "I'm good if you guys are cool with her. And as long as she's not a party-pooper."

Sunoo lowly chuckles to himself but I'm the only one who notices it since he sits next to my left.

"Of course, she's not." I briskly say, convinced the idea would clear out any smoke between our friendship.

.       .       .       .       .

Saying goodbye to Jungwon as he takes the usual lift from Jake to home, I wait for Daisy to show up. A couple of minutes later, Daisy walks through the doors with two girls by her side, her face bright with an engaged conversation between them.

"Daisy." I walk up to them.

This time, Daisy doesn't ignore me but still temporarily halts to listen what I have to say next.

"Can I talk to for a sec? It's really important." I say through a good grin that somehow makes Daisy curious so she tells the girls to wait for her at the bus stop. The girls agree but they still give me distanced eyes as they walk away.

"What?" With a spasm of expectation, Daisy asks.

"Did you know today is Heeseung's birthday?"

"Everyone's wishing him on Instagram since last night. Of course, I know." She softly retorts. Her small enthusiasm drops as she seems to think that was what I wanted to say to her.

I beam nevertheless, "well, then, do you know about his birthday party at Jay's place?"

Her eyes glint with surprise and I grin.

"They're having a party at Jay's place?" She repeats.

"Yeah, tonight, you didn't know?" 

The surprise in Daisy's eyes flashes brighter at my question and I'm in awe for the gang being perfectly tight-lipped about it. Consequently, I realize there and then how importantly they value their own space at special days like this. Respect follows on spree.

"You're invited to that party?" She wonders with great curiosity she trying so hard to conceal.

I can sense the excitement in her through her voice. So I suppress my giggle when I proudly nod.

"They want this party to be really private so they don't really tell this to anyone except the ones they want to come." I add. "And you are also invited."

A smile unconsciously gushes upon her lips.
"Me? Why?"

"Because I told them so. You are my only best friend and I told them I want you to be there with me."

"What did they say?" Her excitement now flows without constraint.

"They say yes. It's not like they don't know you at all."

She puts herself in an elated contemplation afterwards, making me grin in a hope that we'll be best friends again after tonight.

"You're coming, right?" I still ask knowing her answer.

"Of course. It's a private party of the gang. And at Jay's place—and I've never been to Jay's place though I know where he lives—I mean almost all girls do."

I giggle at her sudden upbeat demeanor.

"Alright. The party starts at 7. I'll text you the address."

Her smile fades at this. "We're not going together?"

I wish we could but Jungwon literally begged me to stay at his place without going home so that we can go to Jay's place together. I agreed since it is the most perfect way for someone who has to take an hour-bus to home and then again to Jay's. A smart decision is that I don't have to waste my time and money when I can just stick to Jungwon's.

But I can't tell Daisy that as Jay would be too busy with arranging a party to accompany her if she said she wants to follow me to Jungwon's. That way her judgement will be bitter again with Jungwon's lack of proper hospitality to people he isn't familiar with.

She'd be alone.

However, I can tell her to come to Jungwon's only at near seven so that she won't have to spend hours at his place before the party.

It seems like a perfect plan to me at the moment.

"We are if you want to come to Jungwon's place around 6:30 because Jungwon and I are going together."

"Oh." She coos with a realization I'm too positive to interpret.

"It'd be a waste of time and money if I go home and come back again so Jungwon suggested I stay at his place for the party."

She nods. "Okay. I'll text you around party time."

She then says goodbye and turns away but I instantly grab her arm.

"Oh, there's still something, Daisy."

"What is it?"

I form my lips into a thin line, "you can't tell anyone about the party. I know you wouldn't but they even let me invite you because they think I'm Jungwon's girlfriend and kinda trust me."

"Okay, Daisy?" I plead.

Daisy thinks to herself for a handful of seconds before she finally nods and smiles to my peace of mind.