5

The sound of crinkling paper echoed throughout the room, as yet another rough draft was thrown into the tiny trash can besides the desk. All she could do was sigh, resting her forehead against the back of her hand.

Her back pained her greatly, the small wooden chair she sat in failing to provide her with any comfort. She had been sitting at her desk for eons, writing and writing, just for her hard work to get thrown away because she had trouble perfecting such a difficult request.

A poem of only the sweetest words, carried by a moon-lit river written by the finest author you know.

Man, Yanfei was gonna owe her big time for this.

Recently, one of the clients Yanfei had previously worked with committed suicide, his job as a Millelith Guard putting too much pressure on him and driving him to his own depressing grave. The lawyer was given the task of making sure his will was carried out, and of course, there just had to be a bizarre request on there.

The request in itself had been too vague, so Yanfei tried her best to fill Y/N in. Essentially, the man that died wanted to leave his wife a piece of his heart, so he requested in his will that he wrote only the day before he committed that a beautiful poem be written and addressed to his wife.

So now, here she was, doing a favor for her dear friend.

"Why couldn't this guy do this himself!" She groaned.

She scribbled down some of the lines she had yet to discard, squinting her eyes at the page with uncertainty as she read them over and over again.

I apologize, my dear,
For by the time you have read this,
I am but a fading star,
In your memory.

One word, one name,
One face, one voice,
All that will soon be soaked away,
As I descend down calm waters.

"I'll love you until the day I die",
Words that have never been more wrong,
For my love for you,
Will not stop at a measly grave.

You are my moon,
the light within my darkness,
the-

Thump.

"Gahh!"

Y/N's head snapped up as she heard her window open abruptly, her eyes wide and hair frazzled. There, her eyes fell upon none other than The Vigilant Yaksha himself, his head poking out from in between the curtains, lips parted in slight surprise.

Her fear died down, happy it was a familiar face breaking into her room and not some weirdo. She placed a hand over her heart, breathing in a sigh.

"Oh, t-thank Archons it's just you... I- Hey! Wait!" Realization slapped her in the face as she realized he quite literally just broke into her room through her window at 2:44 AM in the morning. "Why are you here?!" She whined, leaning back into her rickety chair.

Xiao continued to stare at her for a couple more moments before he was brought back to his senses, his gaze landing on the wooden floor.

"...I've checked up on you every night since the treasure hoarder incident." He admitted, eyebrows furrowed as if he was having difficulty piecing his words together.

"Xiao... why?" She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. He didn't answer, he just looked around to fully take in the contents of her room, since he had only been coming briefly to make sure she was safe.

It had been decorated a little bit to seem more homely. Small mirrors adorned her desk along with a few items of makeup. Pictures of her and what seemed to be friends or family sat neatly on her nightstand, along with some jewelry and candles.