August

"Don't hesitate to call us if you need to."

I was standing over my bed- or what used to be my bed- going through the luggage Adelaide had gotten me to take home, checking that I wasn't forgetting anything.

"I will, I promise," I reassured her.

Life had been insane for the past few weeks. Well, it was insane for months before that, but the insanity only amplified the closer we got to the day.

The day I was waiting for over the last three months. The day I feared might never come. The day I had convinced myself would fix everything. The one that had muddled my brain and brought anxieties to the surface that I didn't even know existed.

The day I would go home.

I still hadn't met my parents, nor did I remember them. I knew their names now- Rob and Alice Jones- but that was about everything. The sheriff and Adelaide had both talked on the phone, but I was never included in these conversations.

Alice Jones, my supposed mother, was currently on her way to Christiansburg to come and bring me home. I should be elated, gleefully running around the room and watching carefully out the window to ensure she arrives, but I just wasn't.

I tried convincing myself that it was just nerves, but that wasn't it. Every time I looked at Adelaide and imagined leaving this home that had grown to be mine, I felt a sinking weight in my stomach.

And then, of course, there was the issue of Jackson. We hadn't spoken to each other more than the occasional mumbling in weeks. Since the fight, he's been distant. Granted, I hadn't been much better, but I had already made up my mind to treat him just the same as he treats me. If he wanted to play out the cold shoulder game, I would play, too. And I would emerge victorious no matter the consequences.

He had been successful in his avoidance of any interaction with me until the day I left. He walked into my room just minutes after Adelaide left to answer a phone call.

"So," he sighed, leaning against the doorframe leading to my room from the hallway, "you got what you wanted. You get to leave this dump of a place and find people who really care about you."

"Gee, thanks, Jackson," I retorted. "I'm so glad you were able to put aside the issues between us long enough to say goodbye. Oh, wait sorry, I forgot. I'm not allowed to complain about anything or I'm just disregarding other people's complaints."

"You're right, I should say goodbye. After all, I'll be missing you just as much as you miss me." Jackson started to walk away, then stopped and hesitantly turned toward me with a defeated look on his face. "And, I might regret saying this, but listen to my mom. If you need anything, call."

"You don't need to look so pained when you say that, you know." He scoffed and resumed his walk out. "Thank you." He paused briefly but then proceeded to walk away from my room and out of my life, possibly for the last time.

_____________________________________

"Madison! My sweet girl, I've been so worried about you!" She ran to me the second she walked into the house. Tears were building in her eyes.

I was sitting at the table finishing off the last of the mac and cheese Adelaide had made me. She was a small woman, skinny, and couldn't have been much more than five feet tall. Short brown hair cut into a bob framed her skinny face. There were bags under her eyes, but she was beautiful, nonetheless. Not in the same way as Adelaide, who was all curves and warm flounces, she had a fairy-like beauty to her.

I didn't recognize her.

"Hi. . . mom," I replied hesitantly. Guilt took over me as I realized I was not replying to her excitement with nearly as much enthusiasm as I should have, but I couldn't change my lack of memory.