I Nearly Missed America - Part 1

Damn! These characters and their independent-mindedness! Here, I've got Nick on a mission to get down and dirty and he has to fall in love! What a mess! He's on his second day out and he has to fall for an almost-jailbait guy with daddy issues (sound familiar?) He goes all moral on me and whoops, it all falls apart.

I Nearly Missed America by Steve Snow

Dedicated to the best Sister and Brother-in-law a guy could have. You were the inspiration for all of this (believe it or not!) A few days on your couch and voila – inspiration occurs! I am truly blessed!

 You were the inspiration for all of this (believe it or not!) A few days on your couch and voila – inspiration occurs! I am truly blessed!

Channeling William Least Heat-Moon as interpreted by Walt Whitman, Allen Ginsburg and Lowell's own Jack Kerouac. (I don't have much of an ego, do I?) 

I plead with you to get off the faceless interstates and freeways and see America again from its main streets. Look not only at its neon signs but also the more subtle indicators like the white 8 1/2 by 11 notices taped up inside the windows and don't forget the churches and cemeteries. One such cemetery appealed to me by looking skyward with all its obelisk-like monuments reaching for the heavens with their penultimate crosses held high. 

                                 185 West Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 

        I notice these all over Upstate New York. Not so much elsewhere.

I am on a mission and I am also on a bus pointed north. Believe it or not, I'm heading fourteen towns north of Albany to begin my two-week vacation with a very specific goal in mind. I plan to travel back towards Albany one town at a time each day and explore the town thoroughly. I also intend to pick one representative guy in each town I visit for my special attentions.

First, a note: There's something about this area that I've not experienced in my hometown. The guys here are just nicer! I call them "farmboys" even though I know only a few of them are actually from the farm. They are uniformly more pleasant, polite and helpful than their urban counterparts. They smile more which automatically makes them more attractive. It's a paradise for a connoisseur of fine males like myself. The only problem is, they all set off my sensors. I need to be constantly mindful that what I interpret as a come-on at home is very likely just a straight guy being NICE here. It makes it so that to overcome my reduced sense of mutual attraction, I'm sure that any guy who wanted to be seduced would need to work especially hard to get my attention. Because of that, and since it's my first night out, and since I'm in a celebratory mood I find myself in a gay club. While getting my bearings, I meet Ralph who is a rare beauty; an Indian man whose good looks would rival the young Bollywood studs that grace their cinemas with a handsome intensity. I ask: "What is a stunning, exotic hunk like you doing in this town?"