I Nearly Missed America - Part 4

Damn if they aren't at it again! Well, so much for relaxation time! I'm not convinced I can do thisstory justice and for now it's just an idea rattling around in my head...

We begin with Willis at the warehouse. Tonight he's in the infirmary and he's staying with a man who's near death from AIDS. They are talking intimately and Matteo confesses that he's been getting anti-HIV medications all along but he's been diverting the prescriptions to his friend João who is also HIV-positive but is fearful of seeing a doctor since he is an illegal immigrant. They have been perpetuating this ruse where Matteo is present for the physicals but João goes for the blood tests. Matteo knows he will die soon and is fearful that his friend won't be able to continue his treatments once he passes away. He extracts a pledge from Willis that he will try to intervene and help this young man find a way to continue his treatments. Willis wonders if he is up to the task but promises to try. Relieved of this burden, Matteo can embrace the inevitable. He dies early the next morning. When he wakes, Willis deals with the immediate issues of Matteo's death then later realizes he must make good on his promise. He has had the forethought to get contact info for his doctor and his friend. Willis first visits João to inform him of Matteo's passing and assure him that he'll work to be sure he can continue his treatments. He makes an appointment to see the doctor and outlines the ruse. The doctor is saddened that his patient has died and explains that he couldn't understand why during the last half dozen monthly visits Matteo appeared to be deteriorating before his eyes but his blood work was so encouraging. The doctor and Willis conspire to find ways to get João the treatments he needs. "You tell João for me that I don't have ice in my veins and I don't have ICE painted on my back, either. I will work with him to get him what he needs and bend the rules if need be. Tell him that this is only a different 'closet' and for his safety, he needs to 'come out.' Also, tell him I won't judge him. Matteo must have loved him a great deal to have done this for him and in his memory, I can do no less."

Research "helping someone over" and the professional's interface to first responders when it's clear that there's been a death. (You don't need an ambulance, only the coroner...)