1. Damn cute girls and their cute smiles.

Mahir wipes anti-bacterial ointment across the newly inked tattoo, and then proceeds to cover it with a bandage. When everything is done, he smiles brightly at his client and begins the usual spiel about the basics of aftercare.

"Since it's technically an open wound, you don't want any bacteria getting in there, so keep that bandage on at least for two hours. When two hours are up, you should gently wash the area with your hands using lukewarm water and plain soap. Pat it dry with a paper towel - don't rub, because that will excessively irritate the skin - and leave it uncovered for a half hour or so; this will allow the tattoo to breathe for a bit. When that's all done, you can apply a little antibacterial ointment - I can give you a list of recommended brands - and you'll be home free! You'll have to repeat this process at least three times a day for about a week, or until the tattoo starts scabbing over, then you can switch to using a plain moisturiser instead of the ointment."

The client - a girl who is barely legal (but definitely actually legal, because Mahir runs a reputable business, thank you very much) - merely looks at her with wide eyes. She fights the urge to laugh, because it's clear that the teenager hasn't taken in any of the advice that she's been given.

"Come on over to the front counter - we have a card specially made for first timers like yourself; it has everything that I told you about aftercare, plus our contact if you have any questions."

Mahir leads her to the front counter where Amelia, Permanent Record's spirited front-of-house girl, is busy in organising an appointment with a client over the phone. One hand is holding the phone to her ear and another hovers over the computer mouse.

When Amelia notices Mahir and his young client, she cups the phone receiver to her chest and whispers an apology to them.

"I won't be too long." She adds before returning to the call. "I'm so sorry sir, we're completely booked out for the next two weeks. I can schedule an appointment for three weeks' time, but- oh, you need the appointment to be within the next few days? I'm sorry. All of our artists are booked for the next two weeks straight. No, I can't just rearrange them for you.."

Mahir grins at Amelia when the client begins to argue. Amelia sticks out her tongue in retaliation. It's clear that she is dealing with another person who has no understanding of how schedulers work - when they are booked out; they're booked out, there's no squeezing in appointments for anyone.

When Amelia finally hangs up the phone a good two minutes later, she lets out a heavy sigh before turning to Mahir and his teenage client.

"The nerve of some people..to actually think they're all that." Amelia says with a grimace. She shakes her head before addressing Mahir's client, "All finished, I see. How did it go?"

Mahir lets Amelia briefly chat with the teenager, noting how the colour begins to return to the young girl's as the conversation goes on. It's a pleasant reminder of why Amelia was hired in the first place - she has a knack of making everyone feel at ease. As Amelia begins to sort out payment for the tattoo, Mahir rummages around behind the front desk for the small cardstock with the printed aftercare instructions. When all the financial details are dealt with, Mahir hands the card over to his client with a reminder to take care and be gentle with the new ink. Mahir and Amelia both watch as the girl walks out of the door.

"Another anxious one, huh?" Amelia says as she observes the girl through the glass window of their storefront, reuniting with her friends who have been waiting outside. "She wasn't looking so hot before - I half expected her to pass out"

Mahir chuckles lightly. "Your talent for claiming people down is the reason Vish and I hired you to work the front desk - if she fainted, I'd have fired you."