Chapter 12 : Flashback

It was raining.

Not the typical drizzle or the small raindrops. No, it was flat out pouring. The raindrops were freaking golf balls attacking your head and landing in pool sized puddles. The sky was black, darkening the entire street and it didn't help that the alley in which I was standing in had no lamppost either.

CRACK!

Another lightning strike startled me, letting a gasp escape my lips. My heart was beating at an unsteady pace, making my breathing uneven. The thunder was booming so loudly, it sounded like Josh playing the drums. Next to thousands or microphones. Plugged into sound systems. Set on full blast. No exaggeration.

BOOM!

The next thunder strike made me drop the bags I was holding. Yeah. Those stupid groceries. The reason I'm in this mess. Stupid boys...

Zayn was complaining that there was no food in the fridge. So when I suggested he go buy some, he snorted before leaving. Liam and Harry had been laying on the couch playing on their phones. "He's right mate. There's literally nothing to eat in there." Harry said. I had simply stared at him with a bored expression.

We could use a diet anyway.

Harry grunted. "That means go buy the groceries, Sherlock." He said, throwing a list and some money on the table. "Why me?" I whined "Why can't Zayn buy it? He wants it the most any ways." I heard Liam snort at my statement. "Cause it's your turn to buy 'em. Make sure to get everything on the list, and buy us a pizza on your way back." I grumbled in response, showing my displeasure to being sent outside. I left with just a gray hoodie and some TOMS, debating whether I should take an umbrella just in case, finally deciding not too seeing as it was a short trip.

Damn me and my stupid decisions.

I walked deeper into the alley, taking a shortcut home. I was mumbling curses to any entity that was listening, mostly about how the boys were going to owe me so much after this. I stopped mid stride after hearing a sound.

BOOM!

After the sound of thunder, I heard a sound again, only louder. I strained my ears to listen, hearing some mumbles and the faint sound of...whimpering? The whimpering was coming from somewhere near, and I being the curious one I am, went to investigate. I walked deeper into the alley, trusting my developed ears to lead me to the whimpering. By now, I couldn't see what was in front of me, the only source of light being my almost dead phone.

I knew I should have charged it before leaving, but no. Yet another mistake by the brilliant Louis Tomlinson.

I continued wandering deeper into the alley. I knew this was stupid and I should probably go back before I get lost. But let's face it: I'm already lost anyway, so might as well explore while I'm at it. After a while the whimpering had stopped. I waited in place making sure it really was before turning around to head back home.

I stopped, frozen in mid-stride as I heard an ear piercing scream echo around the alley. I ran in the direction it came from, painfully aware of my TOMS splashing in the puddles, when I suddenly crashed into someone, successfully causing us to fall. I got up, dusting myself off before looking to see what I ran into. But to my utter surprise, it was a kid. He had brown hair, damp and clinging to his forehead due to the rain, and shocking blue eyes, so shocking in fact that it almost hurt to stare into them. The lack of light seemed to make them almost glow. I was too busy staring into the strangers' eyes to notice that he was now curled into a ball, chanting something to himself and whimpering. His eyes were streaked with tears, and now that I look closer, he looked completely torn up; his hair was matted with mud and his clothes were torn in some places. He had scrapes along his arms and legs, and I even noticed a faded hand print on his right cheek.