Chapter 2

I kept trying to talk to him but he just stared at me, his lifeless blue eyes holding no recognition or trust that I know he had for me before. His lifeless blue eyes that lost it's spark and color from who knows how long of pain.

I could see the bandages that covered the stumps of what's left of his left middle and pinkie finger and his right's wrongly crooked pointer finger that was purple and swelling. His arms were stained red and had lacerations that I knew needed care, the blood pulsating and leaving in a slow but consistent trickle that had slowly pooled under him, his legs also received similar treatment but not as severe. His neck was bruised with purple handprints under the shock collar that was put on him, leaving some burns from the shocks that were evidently used on him more than once. His face wasn't spared either, he had a slightly healed bruise that was big enough to cover his cheek and a scar just under his right eye. It was carved as the number 1.

But even then he didn't seem to mind the movement, carrying him in my arms out of the god awful small room that smelled of rot and fungus, a pile of what I could only assume as whatever food he was fed here being the source of it. His eyes only stuck to me as I carried him out of the dented doors and laying him on the ground. He'd been sitting when I found him, head facing the floor and his body curled in, his body would creak if it could.

Everyone stood behind me, trying to get a glimpse of someone who had called for help so long ago without overwhelming him too much. He didn't seem to process a lot of what was happening, crowding him could've made it worse.

He had tears lining his cheeks as he kept staring at me while the others kept trying to ask if they could come closer. He stared without recognition at me like he was trying to figure out a puzzle.

Phoenix came next to me and held my shoulder, "I should heal him, his hands could heal wrong on it's own", he said carefully to pull my attention away from Joker's still lifeless looking eyes but I just nodded without looking away from the injuries lining Joker's body, the sight of his missing fingers couldn't seem to process in my mind. He let himself transform before going to the other side and feeding him the orb. I could see his physical wounds healing, glowing and closing up slowly but his eyes still stayed vacant and lifeless. Still looking at me the same way as before.

"Joker?", I called to him gently while my hand gently untangled the matted mess of dirt and blood in his hai before his eyes actually met mine with something, it wasn't trust or relief or anything that I wanted but it was something, "let's go", I said to him with a small smile to try for reassurance but he seemed to close off completely instead. His eyes loosing whatever it had and finally losing a battle to succumb to an easier to process headspace after all he went through, I was honestly surprised he didn't earlier.

"Silver Heart... is Joker going to be alright?" I heard a soft voice ask from behind me that belonged to Rose who had insisted on coming to help, she was so determined to help the one that helped her a long time ago, but when I looked at her I could see how she was standing there with tears in her eyes and a trembling grip on her dress, Shadow holding her other hand in a firm grip as he stared at Joker with a carefully blank expression though his eyes betrayed him. She looked at the limp body in my arms who hadn't said a single thing since rescuing him from hell. She looked way younger than she actually was at that moment.

"I... I don't know... I really don't know"