Chapter Three

Katsuki wakes up with a scream in his throat and a soft burning in his eyes. He shoots upwards, head jerking to the side and—

Fuck , he thinks, flinching away from his reflection and forcibly cutting off the excess chakra from his eyes. He squeezes them shut moments later, skin crawling as he sees the image, which is now burned into his memory thanks to his new, bullshit magic eyes.

It hadn't quite settled in the day prior, but he feels wrong when he looks at himself - both because he expects to see someone else and because, when he sees his face, he imagines it being sharper, imagines seeing his eyes bleed into scarlet as a shuriken spins within the center, imagines seeing blood splattered against his form, imagines seeing his brother .

He breathes, head knocking against the headboard and glancing towards the clock on his bedside table. It's criminally early, but, knowing that he's not getting back to sleep anytime soon, he lets out a deep sigh and pushes himself from the bed. At the very least , he thinks upon remembering his unstocked kitchen, I can be productive .

-=+=-

It's during his little outing to the market - which, thankfully, isn't too populated because of the early hour - that Katsuki comes to several realizations.

1.) He fucking hates high-collars and the way they rub against his skin every time he so much as turns his head , and he hates the way gravel gets under his sandaled feet even more , which causes 'buying a new wardrobe' to be put just below grabbing groceries on his priority list.

2.) While the silver-haired ninja - because he can't be anything else, with that getup - he spots on his way to the market looks like a goddamn weirdo, he has the right idea with the whole mask thing, because if Katsuki has to see his wrongwrong wrong face again he's going to scream .

3.) People really like giving Uchiha orphans free things.

3.5.) Free things sometimes means hugs, compliments, and the like, and Katsuki learns quickly to stay at least three feet away from civilians at all cost , and if they're motherly or grandmotherly looking, he ups the distance because they're the most vicious .

And 4.), Tomatoes evoke some visceral reaction within him that makes him want to bite into them like an apple, and he buys just as many of those as he does spices when he realizes that it's useless to resist.

After finishing up with that little trip - which is really far more draining than it has any right to be since, even though there weren't a lot of people, almost all of them were intent on trying to interact with him in some way or another - Katsuki heads 'home' and makes plans to spend the next two hours soaking up as much about Konoha, the ninja system, et cetera, as he can.

Unfortunately, he runs into an obstacle before he can even get his hands on a single book, because he doesn't know how the fuck to open the scroll, outside of vague instructions of using his chakra to do so - instructions that are virtually useless , because he doesn't know how to use chakra at all .

It isn't immediately instinctive like he's trained his quirk to be, and Sasuke's memories are no help because he'd always been used to chakra in a way that just Katsuki isn't , which fucking sucks because it means that Katsuki's basically flying in half-blind and he'll have to go through the strenuous process of training an ability to become natural again .

It's especially unfortunate because, although he has experience due to his quirk, at least he knew what the end result was supposed to be . With chakra, he's utterly clueless on what he should be trying first, because it was versatile to do something as simple as sticking something to your hand to something like shooting fireballs out of your mouth.