Blue

updated on weekends

this is in the same AU as my bakugou --> sasuke fic, wherein characters die in The War™ via sacrifice, and are reincarnated in another universe afterwards

i was planning on having hitoshi take the place of takeo instead of being tanjiro's twin, but it didn't really work out, so here i am, breaking my own set rules for this series on the second fic
hope it's worth it ;,D

i also have like, 37 more ideas for demon slayer insert fics, and i have no idea what ones i'm going to use later on, so if you're interested in one of the following, let me know:
- Katsuki Bakugou reborn as Kaigaku
- OC-Insert as Genya Shinaguzawa
- SI-OC in Giyuu & Sabito's generation
- SI-OC in Tanjiro's generation
- Kakashi Hatake reborn in Demon Slayer
- Itachi Uchiha reborn in Demon Slayer (though he'd *also* be written as Tanjiro's elder brother, albeit with several changes)

-=+=- are line breaks

---

"And here I thought turning myself into fleshy swiss cheese was stupid," a dry voice commented, causing Hitoshi to startle. Purple eyes, so much like his own, peered at him from the face of a wild-haired teenager.

Hitoshi began to pull himself backwards, only for his gaze to drop when something soft and spindly brushed against his skin.

"A spider lily," the dry voice said again. Hitoshi had the odd feeling that the words had passed through his own lips, even though the sound came from a few meters away. "Just like the one you decided to shove into your mouth, like a total dumbass."

Hitoshi's face scrunched up in offense, and he shot the teen a heated glare. He got the distinct feeling that he was being laughed at, though, when he pointedly raised his brow.

"Unless you want to argue that eating toxic flowers is a good idea," the teen drawled. When Hitoshi's expression turned sour, the teen hummed and picked a flower from the ground, spinning it between his thumb and index finger. "You know, I always thought this kinda shit only happened to protagonists like Midoriya," he mused, then huffed as he stopped fiddling with the flower. "Then again, it could just be that his recklessness wasn't the only thing that rubbed off on me."

The teen tore his gaze away from the flower, then, and his eyes seemed to stare straight into Hitoshi's soul.

"You're not supposed to be here, you know that?" he murmured, and Hitoshi felt a chill run down his spine. "In the original story, Tanjiro Kamado never had an older brother, much less a twin."

Hitoshi swallowed as his blood rushed past his ears.

"Well," the teen said, giving a wry smile as he tossed the flower at Hitoshi, "Good luck to the both of us, I guess."

Hitoshi instinctively scrambled to catch the flower, then jolted when its petals began to change into a cooler hue. He opened his mouth to demand for answers, only for the words to die on his tongue when he met a blue blue blue gaze. He sat, stock still as the teen reached out to press his finger against his forehead.

"Don't die," the elder Hitoshi murmured, as memories flickered in his younger counterpart's mind. "You gotta beat my record for me, at least."

Hitoshi's vision blurred, and in his grip, the impossibly blue spider lily glowed .

-=+=-

" Toshi! " a childish voice blurted out, sounding desperate. Hitoshi blinked away the sleep from his eyes and stared at the source of the sound. He wondered, as he stared at his brother, if what he was seeing was real.

"You scared us!" he cried out a moment later, launching himself at Hitoshi. The air was knocked from his lungs when Tanjiro's skull bashed against his chest, and he grimaced. Ow. Definitely real.

"Now, Tanjiro," his mother said, gently pulling Tanjiro away, "Be careful, now. Hitoshi's still not all better yet."

Tanjiro froze. "Oh no!" he gasped, jerking backwards and staring at Hitoshi with watery eyes, "I'm sorry! Did I hurt you?!"

Hitoshi's tongue felt thick in his mouth, and his temples ached, but he forced himself to respond. "...'m fine."

Physically, at least. Mentally, I'm probably about one wrong comment away from a breakdown.

"I told you he'd be fine, didn't I?" his mother said, glancing towards Hitoshi with an understanding expression. "Now, why don't you go tell everyone else that he's alright, and then bring me a towel or two for Hitoshi's fever. Can you do that for me?"

Tanjiro looked between his mother and Hitoshi, expression suddenly becoming serious. "I'll help!" he told her, "And then 'Toshi will get all better!"

"Right," his mother replied warmly, and the boy seemed to take it as his cue to take off.

"I'll be right back, 'Toshi!" he called out, tossing back a reassuring smile - which was apparently reminiscent enough of the sun that Hitoshi's first instinct was to squint - before closing the door behind him.

"He's been worried about you, you know," his mother said softly, drawing his attention. "Everyone has been. Especially after your father..." Hitoshi reflexively grimaced, and Kie's expression softened. "Don't worry, you'll be fine," she told him, "You were just in and out for a few days there. Ah...," she said next, expression becoming slightly amused, "And I hope you've learned that just because your brother says that you shouldn't or can't do something, doesn't mean that it's your cue to do it, yes?"

Hitoshi flushed, and his mother let out a quiet laugh.

"Get some rest, Hitoshi," she said with a fond smile, "I'll wake you up when it's time for dinner."

She bent down to press a kiss to his forehead, and despite himself, he felt soothed by the gesture.

"Goodnight," she murmured, blowing out the candle.

Hitoshi closed his eyes, and fell asleep with thoughts of another life.

---

i'd like to preface the rest of this by saying that older Hitoshi isn't just 'body snatching' his younger self, he's just transferring over memories
in other words, this hitoshi will be slightly different than his bnha counterpart, though he will retain all of his core traits
that's not the only reason he'll be slightly ooc, though: i'm just also very bad at writing hitoshi B)

also, i wrote a few versions where there was more family time with the kamados, but i scrapped 'em all cause none of them really pieced together well, so... those will either be added as 'flashbacks' (or, more likely than not, stories the characters tell each other) or in a separate 'spin-off' fic, while this will remain as the primary, 'following the main story' fic

and NO, he isn't a demon because he ate a spider lily - whatever medicine muzan had was a mixture of things that Hitoshi didn't also consume
(and if you weren't aware, canonically, Tanjiro's mother showed him a blue spider lily when he was little)