Chapter 20 - Disappearing Act

Morrigan gave her a smile and nodded but her eyes was glued to the painting.

The man in the painting smiled tranquilly. His ash-brown hair was slicked back, his old-fashioned suit immaculate and unmistakably expensive. The dark eyes, the skin so pale it was nearly translucent, the thin pink smile and angular features, and a scar, the thin white line that cut one eyebrow clean in half.

A smile flashed across Morrigan's face. The man in the painting was her teacher, Ezra Squall.

The white blanket of snow over Nevermoor turned to miserable gray slush in the days after Christmas. Rain battered the windows of the Hotel Deucalion and jolliness quickly turned to postholiday gloom, every hour of which brought Morrigan closer to the day she had been waiting for, the Show Trial.

"Can you pleeaassee tell me your knack?" Hawthorne pouted. 

Exasperated, Morrigan groaned and rolled her eyes for approximately the hundredth time that afternoon.

"Tomorrow is the Show Trial, you would know by tomorrow, just be patient."

"But I want to know now," Hawthorne whined like a little kid as Morrigan ignored him, continuing to read her book, while she have her thoughts somewhere else. In her last life, she didn't know her knack and didn't know how to use it, but in this life, she has plenty of experience, so Morrigan have the idea of showing them something, small, with her knack....Although she doesn't think it will be a good idea.

Well, in her last life, before she admitted she was a Wundersmith, a lot of people doubted whether she had a knack or not which did cause some trouble. So what if....if she is going to do something on the Show Trial, Morrigan could make it as if she accidently activated her knack...

A mischievous smile crept up her face

"Hey, why are you smiling like that...?" Hawthorne sort of shivered under Morrigan's smile...although that type of smile does seem familiar...almost like..."Oh my, are you planning something? A prank perhaps? I always show that type of smile when I'm planning something."

Hawthorne's eyes lit up. Morrigan could almost see a tail wagging behind Hawthorne.

"You'll have to wait and see."

Hawthorne pursed his lips as the imaginary tail disappeared. He nodded reluctantly.

They sat in silence for a few moment.

Hawthorne sighed. "I have to go. I promised Dad I'd be home before dark. Show Trial's tomorrow—don't forget," he added, half joking. As if either of them could forget their final trial for the Society. Anybody could forget, but Morrigan would never, this is where everything begins; the beginning of the beginning.

.

When Morrigan stepped into her room, the first thing she noticed was Fen, rolling over and clawing at the rug, rubbing her ears languorously.

"Fen?"

"Hm?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Because I can," Fen snapped her, having no intention of leaving.

Morrigan smiled softly at the magnificat as she made her self comfortable on her bed.

"Aren't you worried about your Show Trial tomorrow?"

"No...not really"

Fen scowled a bit, with confusion in her eyes, "What are you doing tomorrow then? Cause I never seen you practice. You have done nothing but reading some boring books, are you going to show the Elders how good your memories are?"

"Jupiter told me he'll take care of it and everything would be right."

"Hm...sometimes I wonder whether you are too smart or too dumb."

"Eh?"

Fen looked at to Morrigan before laying back on the rug again. "You're intelligent, having to know so much things about Nevermoor when you came from a foreign place. You catch on to our personality as well as likes and dislikes very quickly. Although I would hate to admit it, you are a smart girl indeed."

Morrigan felt heat to her face; only if Fen know that she had lived years here....

"How am I dumb then?"

"It's rude to interrupt...anyway, like I was saying, you are also very dumb. You've only known Jupiter for not even a year, and yet you trust him with your life...I can tell."

"Normally, you should hold doubts and be worried...but you're not. You don't even act like your age..."

Neither of them said anything for a few minute, just laying there.

"But you are lucky," Fen suddenly said, "He's my friend. I know my friend. You're right to trust him."

The room fell silent once more and just as Morrigan thought she'd fallen asleep, she felt something warm, wet, and sandpapery lick the entire right side of her face. She sniffled again, and Fen's big gray head rubbed her shoulder affectionately.

"Thanks, Fen," Morrigan said quietly. She heard Fenestra padding softly to the door. "Fen?"

"Mmm?"

"Your saliva smells like sardines."

"Yeah, well. I'm a cat."

"Now my face smells like sardines."

"I don't care. I'm a cat."

"Night, Fen."

"Good night, Morrigan."

Hi, sorry those chapter are short, these chapter in the original book are when Morrigan are holding our doubts and things like that which is completely unnecessary from what I'm writing here so I just have to skim through those. Also, you might have notice I said that Morrigan might be doing something with Wunder in the Show Trial...I'm not sure if I should put it in the book or not. I have ideas of course, but it's up to you guys whether you think I should just stick to the plot or let Morrigan do something. Ideas are welcomed.