Chapter One

May finished loading her luggage into her carriage and let out a heavy sigh. today was the day she took a big step in life, and moved out of her parents house. she turned to her parents and sighed.
"I love you guys.", she said. her mother smiled at her and moved her red hair behind her ear.
"we love you too, darling.", she said, planting a kiss on May's forehead. May turned to her father who had a broken smile on his face.
"take care of yourself, dear.", he said. he planted a kiss on May's forehead and patted her shoulder.
"I'll write you.", May assured them, "and I'll visit quite often, I'm sure of it." May's parents smiled at her and she gave them a warm smile back as she got into her carriage. the driver whipped the horses, and the carriage drove away. May peered out the back window and caught a glimpse of her parents waving goodbye. she smiled to herself and waved back at them.
May turned back around in her seat and looked down at her shoes. 'I wonder what job I will be able to find', she thought to herself. 'and I wonder where I might live.' a million thoughts rushed through her mind, and before she could finish them, the carriage came to a stop.
the driver leaped down off the drivers seat and opened up the door for her. she grabbed her luggage, one in each hand, and stepped out onto the crowded streets of London.
"I do wish you the best, Lady May.", the driver said tipping his hat at her. she gave the driver and warm smile.
"thank you.", she said, and with that he hopped back onto the carriage and went back to her parents mansion.
May took a look around the busy streets of London and figured she better get started on trying to find a job. she decided to check inside of a toy store first. May loved kids, and she was good with people, so it would be easy for her to sell things.
the toy store was a lot less crowded than the streets, and there were only a few people inside. May stepped up the counter and set her luggage down beside her. a man with white hair and a matching mustache turned around and greeted her with a smile.
"good morning!", he said, "what can I help you with?" May returned the warm smile to him.
"hello.", she said politely, "My name is May Harper, and I'm looking for a job, is there anything you could offer me?" the old man behind the counter, looked down and shook his head.
"I'm sorry, Miss.", he said, "but there aren't any open spots this time of year. it's summer and everyone is wanting a job. again, I'm sorry."
May gave a broken smile to the man. "that's quite alright.", she said, "thank you for your time." May picked up her bags and turned to leave the store. as she turned around, she bumped into a tall man, wearing a tail coat and a matching tie. "oh, my apologies!", she exclaimed, "I am sorry!" the tall man smiled down at her.
"that's quite alright, Miss.", he said, "it happens frequently." May smiled and blushed a little. the man was handsome, and his voice was like sweet honey.
"well, if you'll excuse me.", May said, "I'll be on my way now." May tried to walk away, but the man took ahold of the luggage in her left hand.
"I do apologize.", he said, "but I'm afraid I can't let you leave without knowing your name. I'm sure it's beautiful, much like yourself." May blushed a little and tried to hide it with a simple smile.
"oh.", she said, "well, my name is
May Harper." the man smiled down at her.
"ah, May.", he said, "I was right. a beautiful name for a beautiful woman." May blushed again, but tried to cover it with a smile. the man placed a hand over his chest and took a bow. "I am Sebastian Michaelis.", he said, "I am the head butler, and the only butler, of the Phantomhive manor."
May's eyes widened as she held back a gasp from escaping your mouth. "oh my.", she said, "Mr. Michaelis, I had no idea who you were." May bowed slightly. "my deepest apologies for my lack of manners, sir."
Sebastian let a small laugh escape his lips. "no need to be sorry.", he said, "I'm just one hell of a butler. I'm not Lord Phantomhive himself."
May smiled at him. "oh yes, of course.", she said, "well it was lovely meeting you, Mr. Michaelis." May tried to walk away but Sebastian once again grabbed her luggage.
"That luggage looks dreadfully heavy.", he remarked, "Could I assist you?" May blushed and smiled, but turned her head so the butler couldn't see.
"no.", she said, "I'll be just fine, thank you." Sebastian smirked.
"I must ask.", he said, "what are you doing carrying those around?" May let out a sigh and set the luggage on the floor.
"I just moved out of my parents house.", May said, "I'm here looking for a job, and hopefully a place to stay until I can get my own." Sebastian's eyes glowed a red/pink color, and it sent a shiver down May's spine.
"a job and a place to stay, you say?", he said, "why, I believe I can help you with that, Miss." May's eyes lit up and she looked up at him.
"how so?", she asked him. Sebastian picked up her luggage.
"the Phantomhive manor is always open to new servants.", he said, "and I'm sure the young lord would love to bring you on board the staff."
May blinked. being a maid wasn't exactly what she had in mind. but, it was an easy job, and she would have the pleasure of staying in the Phantomhive residence. but how disappointed her parents would be to find out she left the home of a wealthy family to become a maid.
'they won't have to know.', May told herself. She gulped and looked up at Sebastian.
"if the Phantomhive manor will accept, it would be my pleasure to come and work for you.", she said. Sebastian's eyes glowed red/pink again and another shiver was sent down May's spine.
"wonderful.", he said, "now, let's get going."