And So We Meet

They pulled up in the driveway, Jessica stayed idle in the car for a moment. Her mother, stepping out of the car, studied the exterior of their apartment with a glint of humiliation in her eyes. After all, it wasn't a house. It only pierced the sword in her stomach further; they didn't have money.

The red bricks weren't anything bold and beautiful, they were faded and grey. Vines clung to the corners of the building, appearing to have not been cut in years. The door to their porch was closed off with a meager amount of wood planks. The railing to it was broken.

Jessica watched as her mother took a deep breath, trying to keep her calm despite the sword lodged in her stomach. For as worried as her mother appeared, Jessica lit up. Her mother's remorse reconstructed into a glimmer of hope for Jessica. 

Maybe the Howards won't be presentable enough the man surely wouldn't stay then. She welcomed and hungered the idea of this happening. 

A car pulled up behind them, tires crunching on the concrete, relishing in Jessica's hunger; This snapped her out of her reverie.

That was definitely him— tap tap tap.

Jessica turned her head to view the car behind her, it was a black Rolls Royce. The driver's door opened, glistening in the sunlight. The reflection ofwhat seemed to be a newly cleaned car— blinded her. Out came a tall, robust man. Jessica noticed a sleeve of neck tattoos peeking through the collar of his button-up, a peculiar sight to see with such a slick, tailored suit.

She can't get out of that car.

The door opened. Her mother grabbed her by the arm, lifting her out.

"Yau must' be Jessica," the man said. It was the heaviest British accent Jessica had ever heard.  "I'm Oliver Nuttal, known as the Cupid. Pleasur' meiting yau." His large thick-veined hand lightly grasped Jessica's. He pillowed a soft kiss on her knuckles.

Jessica, flustered, yanked her hand away. Never had she thought a mafia leader would have been so politely mannered. She hated it. What was soon forgotten quickly rushed back to memory. A small breeze flew by, highlighting the still wet kiss placed on her hand. 

"Listen here tall-balls, we need to go over a few things. First of all, we are taking my last name. I don't need your testicular excuse for one. Second of all"

"Jessica!" Her mother interrupted. "Sorry about that Oliver, she's off her rocker a bit today... First time meeting jitters and all."

Oliver glanced back at Jessica with a penetrating stare.

"It''s alright' Mrs. Howard, I lik' her fire." He growled.

Tap tap tap.