Love-struck - Chapter 4

A/N: A lot of consideration was put into what kind of magic Y/N would have. I wanted it to be something that could support Laxus and make her a great work partner. I chose this kind of magic because not only is it similar to Laxus' but they can literally fuel each other's magic energy. This magic was also something that I was interested in exploring more when I watched Fairy Tail, but in order to not make Y/N too OP, her magic will be flawed (but more about that in future chapters).

FRIENDLY WARNING: This chapter contains some violence and mentions a wound without excessive detail. If reading a few sentences containing blood and loss makes you feel uneasy, I'd suggest stopping after the bathroom scene. Enjoy!

One last thing, it's pretty clear by now I'm sure that I favour Laxus („ಡωಡ„) but who is your favourite in Fairy Tail? Do you ship anyone?

14 years ago...

Perching on the cold, hard, oak pew between her parents, Y/N smoothed down the skirt of her long, formal dress, and stretched her numb legs as the crowd solemnly bowed their heads for the final prayer. The church was fairly small, yet towering, with sweeping, stone arches and pools of deep shadows concealing century-old secrets. The citizens of the humble village where Y/N was raised, stood motionless, their faces scrunched in concentration as the priest's words washed over them, fostering the unwavering hopes and beliefs shared amongst them. A vast, stained-glass window loomed at the front of the hall depicting a dark-haired man surrounded by a circle of black books. Underneath, a line of cloaked figures slowly ambled across the room in single file and opened the tall, sturdy doors, flooding the church hall with the early morning light. Row by row, the crowd meandered outside, nodding to one another, clasping hands and repeating the phrase that had been drilled into Y/N since she was born.

"May Lord Zeref return," echoed Y/N monotonously as she rose with her parents and exited the church. She headed home hand in hand with her mother while her father left for work.

The stale familiar scent of mould and mildew filled their nostrils as they stepped inside the ramshackle cottage. Y/N took a seat at the kitchen table, scraping a crooked chair harshly across the wooden floorboards, and watched her mother potter around the kitchen with anticipation. After a few minutes, the petite woman turned around to face Y/N and a sly smile slowly spread across her face. She strolled over to the kitchen table and placed a small, plain cake atop the dishevelled tablecloth. Rummaging through the drawers, she found an old candle stub, carefully set it on top of the cake, and struck a match with a flourish. Y/N's eyes widened with awe as the tiny flame grew on the candle, illuminating the kitchen with warmth.

"Happy eighth birthday, sweetheart!" exclaimed her mother as she wrapped her arms affectionately around Y/N from behind. "Remember to make a wish before you blow out the candles."

Beaming, Y/N's mind reeled with fancies. Visions of a new toy or book, a bowl filled with more food than she could stomach, and a pristine house with a pet running through the expansive gardens, filled her head. As the wax started to drip onto the cake, Y/N made her decision. She tightly closed her eyes and wished for a picnic by the sea, before filling her lungs and quickly blowing out the candle in one sharp breath. She had been told tales of beaches by an elderly woman who had been given the title 'Grandma' by the entire village, not only due to her age but also her wisdom and unwavering kindness. Rolling tides spraying salt into the air across an infinite horizon seemed like a dream to Y/N, who had never been further than the farmland gate. She grazed her feet across the rough floor and imagined the feeling of sand warming her soles and sticking in between her toes. She sighed and opened her eyes, eager to eat the cake, and came face to face with her mother now sitting opposite her. The calm, happiness that had filled her, quickly drained away as an icy chill spread through her veins. Blowing out the candle had extinguished the comfort and brought dread in its place, as her mum slid a black, tattered book across the table towards Y/N.