The New Tavern

Varian is exhausted. He has been working all day in his lab, inventing a way to bring hot running water to his village. It is a surprise for his father, one that he hopes will make him proud.

     Normally after a long day like this, he takes a stroll over to the Snuggly Duckling, orders a non-alcoholic sparkling cider, and takes a couple minutes to unwind before heading back home. But at the moment the Snuggly Duckling is closed, since the owner is out of town.

     After hearing of a newer tavern in town called Cassandra's, he decides to check it out. He has heard mostly good things about it, and figures it couldn't hurt to try something new.

     From the moment he steps into the bustling tavern, an immediate sense of belonging washes over him. He is meant to be here. He doesn't understand why he feels this way, until he takes a seat at the bar:

     Behind the counter is a stunning woman with dark, raven hair and hazel green eyes. Her short locks bounce above her shoulders as she flits from one customer to the next, taking orders and handing them out in a rhythm that is mesmerizing. Varian cannot keep himself from staring in amazement.

     "What'll it be, kid?"

     A moment passes before Varian realizes the woman is talking to him. "Uh, h-hi. I'm Varian," he stammers.

     "That's nice, but that's not what I asked you."

     "You're Cassandra, I presume?"

     "I am. But are you going to order something or not? I have other customers."

     "Right, sorry. Um... just a sparkling cider for me."

     Cassandra grabs a mug, and pours Varian his drink. After handing it to him, she immediately turns to the next customer.

     But to Varian, he and Cassandra are the only two people in the tavern. As she fills more orders, and cleans the counters, and sweeps the floors, he is in awe of her every fluid movement. His heartbeat quickens within his chest, and he knows deep down that, from this moment on, his life will never be the same.

     I have met the love of my life, he thinks. Whether she realizes it or not...

 Whether she realizes it or not