"You Really Came Back."

The Gods Trial
Chapter 7: "You Really Came Back."

☽࿐˖۪⸙͎

"SHE LIED again." I gulped immediately when I felt pain in my throat. I read the question again and scoffed for the second time.

. . . . .

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves; be ye therefore wise as _____, and harmless as doves.

X - snakes
O - serpents

. . . . .

Snakes and serpents weren't different from each other. I had an answer in my head but I was having doubts. This place was messed up, would they actually look for a decent answer?

"Five seconds left," the speaker announced.

Ugh, there's a timer. I pressed O... the burden in my heart reduced when it opened.

My eyes met with the boy's when I reached the second floor. I looked down to see the number of his cube, it was fourteen. I looked at mine and saw sixteen. I was leading but I couldn't rejoice yet. If my guess that this structure had five floors was right, then I still had more than thirty cubes left.

The die rolled and the other piece made it to the twentieth cube and I moved up to the third floor of the cube twenty-one. Thanks to Rei's five moves. The other piece then moved to cube twenty-two which was fine because the stair was on the twenty-third cube.

Rei rolled the dice again and I got two moves. I reached the twenty-third cube and had the stair. This had suspiciously gotten easier. I took a peek at Rei who was silently staring down. Had she ever looked in this direction? She probably had no clue that I reached the third floor.

I moved closer to the glass door. A familiar name flashed together with other words. A faint smile formed on my lips, contrary to my heart that felt heavy. I missed my dad and my mom.

I clicked an answer without hesitation. But the LED screen turned red before it blacked out. The door didn't open! 

What the heck? I knew this place was messed up! The question asked what's the business of Deidre Frost—which was my father—and I pressed X which was the lending company!

"This is bullshit."

I clenched my fist. A fiery feeling grew in my heart again. I stamped my foot, almost about to kick the door but I stopped myself before the girl spoke.

"I have a knife with me! Do you want me to slice off this girl's neck to stop you from getting moves?"

I ran to the two-way mirror and saw her really pointing a knife to Rei's neck. The latter didn't move and was focused on the die on the ground. I clenched my teeth and prevented myself to grunt. What are you doing, Rei? You can protect yourself!

But I suddenly realized one wrong move from her could trap me here. That girl's piece was still here, who knew what he could have under his sleeves.

"I'm not doing anything." I leaned my forehead to the two-way mirror. I heaved a sigh of relief when the girl hid her knife in her pocket and picked up a dice on the ground. She shook it in her hands before letting it go.

"Piece Number 2, one cube."

He got the chance to take the stair. My eyebrows raised when I saw another familiar name.

. . . . .

What does Elijah Gardner co-owned?