17

When I wake up in the morning, I'm slightly confused. I don't recognize where I am. It isn't my mattress underneath me. But it's only a few seconds before I know where I am. I roll my eyes at my own momentary lapse.

I can hear Ravana and Lief talking lightly in the other room. I sit up, checking my watch. It's six-thirty. I usually open shop at six. Well, I guess I'm behind. Whatever.

When Lief and Ravana come out, Ravana is complaining about something I don't totally understand. While also trying to do Lief's hair while he's moving.

"God's sake," Lief says, not apologizing when Ravana winces, "You're the one who offered to teach him. And you know your head is worse."

The demon scowls. "Yes, but his thoughts crowd me. It's really... Oh, I don't know how to explain it. And he gets so jealous!"

"Arden, would you like some toast?"

I nod nervously, watching as Ravana finishes up Lief's hair and pulls away.

"What's up with you guys?" I ask.

"My former apprentice, whom Ravana is teaching demonic magic in his dreams. Azarius. He's taken my place as the mage for the colony."

"And his thoughts are irritating. It's all strong taste and I can't deal with that much input at once."

Lief, at my confused look, explains, "He senses everyone's thoughts differently. For Aza, it's taste. For me, it's texture and sound."

"What about for me?" I ask.

"Visual text," he says, "quite standard."

"Standard?"

"Common. Most people appear that way. But your's displays differently, it goes straight towards everyone else's minds instead of staying in your own. Perhaps that's why your mind also houses Lief's consciousness."

I'm slightly relieved. I was worried this would be another thing where I was exactly like any old non-mage in the street. I don't need another thing like that.

"I have to head off to the forge. Ravana will go with you to check out your car," Lief says, handing me two pieces of toast with raspberry jam on and cramming his own in his mouth, "Stay safe."

He leaves very swiftly, and Ravana starts making his own food, a sandwich with an excessive amount of meat rather than breakfast.

"I don't know much about cars," he says, "But I can probably teleport it to a location if it can't be fixed with magic."

"I could fix it if I had a tire."

"I'll duplicate one of the good ones, then."

We start the walk there while still eating. I can't help but be made nervous by his sharp teeth. He seems like he could bite through anybody's flesh very easily.

"Thank you," he says, his tone only slightly humorous.

Okay, now I am having thoughts I don't
want to be having around a mind reader. I try to suppress them. He has the good grace to ignore them.

"So, what's hell like?" I ask abruptly.

Ravana was yawning while I asked the question, and again my eyes are drawn to his teeth.

"Oh, you know... pretty regular climate-wise, I suppose. It's not really well known, but all mages end up there. Isn't a secret either."

"Right. Good to know."

"I used to be a mage," Ravana says, "I don't remember what it was like, though."

"Oh. So you're...?"

"Dead? Yeah. But really it's more like I'm in my second life. Lief likes to argue with me about it because I try to get out of things by saying he's ruining my death."