S2 E4: Takiawase

Companion Song: "Waiting Game" by BANKS

"I'm thinking it over

The way you make me feel all sexy but it's causing me shame

I wanna lean on your shoulder

I wish I was allowed but I don't wanna cause any pain

And if I'm feeling like I'm evil, we got nothing to gain..

I'm thinking it over

What if the way we started made it something cursed from the start?

What if it only gets colder?

Would you still wrap me up and tell me that you think this was smart?

'Cause lately I've been scared thinking 'bout where we are...

I don't wanna say your love is a waiting game..."

This "cut unscene" occurs just after Will's session with Dr. Chilton where he is given sodium amytal, a tongue-loosening truth serum. The combination of the medication and a flickering overhead light causes Will to remember Hannibal shooting him up with some kind of drugs and inducing seizures, causing his blackouts and missing time to be much worse than what the encephalitis alone would do. He explains his memory to Chilton, who says, "That would be a radically unorthodox form of therapy" to which Will replies, "Yes, it would." This next bit begins at 26:45 as the sodium amytal Will was given continues to run its course.

"I wonder what Dr. Lecter will have to say for himself?" Chilton tapped his pen against his notepad. Will winced. The sound reverberated through the subterranean interview room and each pulse felt like ragged claws against his ears. The details of the room slowly drained away, leaving the shadows deep and sharp-edged. Chilton on the chair in front of him seemed like a lone island of brightness, an actor on a stage lit by a monologue spotlight.

"H-he won't s-say anything." Will's tongue was wet and heavy like spring snow. "Because you won't talk to him about me or my therapy."

"Will, I think-"

"That's what we agreed," Will said forcefully. He shook his head, trying to clear the clouds from his perception. "Don't talk to him. Don't let him near me."

"Of course, Will. Just as we agreed." Chilton had no features now, only shadows and contrast, over-saturated. "Now, tell me more about how Dr. Lecter treated you."

The truth bubbled up behind his lips, stretching down the back of his throat. Will fought against it, keeping his jaw locked. Behind Chilton, the dingy wall and doorway leading to the hall beyond dissolved the way an old movie might show a transition into a dream sequence or an underwater kingdom, wavy like sunlight on the bottom of the ocean. Figures slowly came into focus, black and white, a vintage memory. He saw himself kneeling on Hannibal's bed, reaching for him, inhaling his scent and then leaning in for that first drunken kiss. The one who got away, Abigail's voice echoed through the scene, a narrator to his drug-fuelled reminiscence.

Chilton was saying something, but it was muffled, inaudible. Will shook his head violently, sweat dripping from his brow, and tried to focus his eyes. "What?" he muttered.

"I asked you what else you talked about with Dr. Lecter during these little 'conversations'... I understand you discussed the cases and the killers?" Chilton crossed his legs and rested the notepad on his knee. "Did he ask you to identify with these despicable monsters? Encouraged you to find some empathy, some common ground? Do you think that influenced your desire to kill?"