prologue

"You're an idiot,"

"Moron,"

"Shithead,"

"Fuckhead,"

"Kathleen!" The two girl's heads turn to their mother who's sat at the head of the table, her husband at the other end.

"Sorry mom," Even though Lorelei's sister was 20 and in college, she still cowered under her mother's gaze.

It was November, and Kathleen had managed to get some spare time away from college to drop by, and so their mother had pulled out all the stops. And by that, it meant that there was a candle on the table, and they planned to play cards later.

"Anyway," their father starts "How's your studying go Kath?"

"Great!" the girl's face suddenly brightens as she starts talking about her teacher training course. Lorelei would never understand why her sister wanted to pursue a career teaching kids her age.... but oh well.

"There's also this um...guy, in my course,"

"A guy," Lorelei grins and as her father's face stiffens, her joy just grows

"Yes, a guy," Kathleen spits out at her sister before turning her voice sugary sweet "We've um, gone out on a few dates, and I'd love you guys to meet him,"

Before her husband can utter a word, Joan has spoken "We'd love to Hun,"

"Yes, we'd love to," Lorie mutters and her sister glares.

"You are not scaring him off!"

"Why would a scare him off?" Lorelei pops a potato in her mouth.

"You scared off my first boyfriend!"

"I was 10!"

"Girls," their mother chimes again "Please refrain from arguing at the table any more tonight,"

"Yes Ma," Lorie sighs "Lovely dinner,".

As the night progresses, Lorelei finds herself up in her room, her sister brushing her hair back as she catches up on 'girl talk'.

"You still babysitting that Byers kid?"

"Yeah!" Lorelei grins "I enjoy it. He's sweet, loves drawing, and he plays a weird game with his friends...Dungeons...?"

"Dungeons and Dragons?"

"Yep, that one,"

"Oh, Caleb used to play that,"

"And is Caleb the guy?"

"Caleb is the guy,"

"It's kinda cool, I tag along sometimes and play with them, I'm not very good though," Lorie laughs "They're playing it tonight actually, I was meant to take him to and from the Wheeler's. But then you turned up out of the blue,"

"Oh, sorry to disappoint," Kathleen laughs

"But, yeah, his brother said he'd sort it out but..." Lorie turns her head slightly, looking out at the now dark sky.

"But?"

"I don't know...I've got a weird feeling,".