23. Baby Steps

6 months later, Ben got his very own prosthetic leg. It was exciting for Ben, right up until he realized he couldn't immediately walk with it on. By day 5, Ben felt useless, even with Jack living with him.

Ben had just finished an after dinner snack, when Jack walked in.

"Hey, wanna help me fold laundry?" Asked Jack, who stood in the kitchen with a laundry bin full of clean clothes.

"Yeah, sure." Said Ben.

Ben confidently got up to walk, but started to wobble a little.

"Need some help?" Asked Jack.

"I think I'm okay."

Ben tried to walk again, but was still wobbly.

Jack put down his basket and went over to help.

"I got it!" Said Ben, annoyed.

He wasn't trying to be mean, nor was he trying to refuse Jack's help. Ben was annoyed that he constantly needed help from others.

"Okay." Said Jack calmly.

Ben took a couple steps, then fell onto the floor. Frustrated, Ben started crying and took off his prosthetic leg. He then angrily tossed it into the living room. Jack went over to comfort him.

"I'm sorry." Said Ben through his tears. "I didn't mean to be rude."

"You're forgiven." Replied Jack. "I understand why."

"Can you help me back up, please?" Asked Ben.

"Of course. Do you want to try again?"

Ben shook his head.

"Okay. Why don't we go sit on the couch and watch Big Hero 6." Said Jack.

Ben couldn't explain how greatful he was of Jack, and how patient he was. Jack helped Ben to the couch, then went over to pick up the leg. Then they watched their movie until they fell asleep.

The next day, Ben made his way to the living room. He saw Jack finishing setting up balance bars, a foot apart from each other. His prosthetic leg was leaned up against the wall.

"What's all this?" Asked Ben.

"We got a couple hours until your physical therapy. Thought we could get in some practice." Said Jack. "10 minutes okay?"

"Yeah." Replied Ben.

Ben was in no mood to practice, but he knew if he'd quit now, it could only delay his progress.

Jack came over and helped him to the couch. Then Ben put on his prosthetic, and went to one end of the bars. Jack went up to Ben between the bars, facing him.

For the next 10 minutes, Jack helped Ben practice his walking before his therapy.

"Hey, you did great today!" Said Jack, giving Ben a high five.

Ben high fived back.

"Thanks." Replied Ben, with a smile on his face.

Ben took a shower, then got dressed. Then Jack drove him to his physio appointment. When they got there, Ben looked at Jack.

"Could you come in with me? Again?" Asked Ben. "You make it easier for me when you're there."

"Yeah, of course. Replied Jack. "I can come to all of them if you'd like."

"Yes please. Thank you." Said Ben.

Ben just sat there as Jack got put of the car.

"You good?" Asked Jack.