Inventing Em

Inspired by the aesthetic of "steampunk." A story I wanted to write but it had way too many plot holes and I don't have time
______________________________________

I hissed at the clanking of the gates closing. Once again, I was successful in exiting the palace gates undetected but not silently and headed for Falfax Park. Early into the morning, no one took walks there, which made it perfect for a quick take-in of the view. My shoes clicked along the path, and I tried to relax into a slow walk, but I was too excited to wear out my new shoes already. They had come in late in the evening of last night, and I refused to take them off. Shiny rich brown leather shoes with golden swirl designs around the soles perfectly complemented my outfit, and I knew I looked sharp - not to brag or anything.

I found myself under the nose of one of the greatest clockmakers of all time; Jester Falfax. It is after him that the park was named, and many copies of his work could be found scattered throughout the park in metal rusting statues.

But this one doesn't hold a candle to the others. A lifelike metal display of him in his real height -- six foot four -- and one of his best suits he wore only to presentations of his work was built on him. My eyes were glued to how elegantly the thin metal for loose parts of his clothing flowed throughout his suit.

Sir Falfax wore a simple white dress shirt. On top, he had a blue sleeveless blazer with silver cogs and gears more near the top and less at the bottom. His pants were fluffy, and his watch always hung from waist on a chain swinging as he walked. Falfax was far from a simple dressed man. His accessories consisted of too much to count. A tall brown top hat that widened at the top had rips, but he never bothered to look for a new hat. He covered up tears with little screws and gears he'd glue to the hat, and by his end, the hat looked like one of his mechanisms. A few connections here and there and the hat could walk on its own. His keys always hung from a breast pocket, and more little gears would connect around his shoulder and down his back, appearing once more at the front. One of his signature looks were tall shiny boots. You could see your reflection in them when you bowed your head to him.

Unfortunately, with the statues age, I couldn't do that. The shoes were dull and didn't feel like they belonged to Falfax. Often, I wish I'd been around when he lived. Perhaps he would teach me some of his tricks, or I could look at his shoes.

I firmly shook my head to snap out of thoughts and gave a quick bow to the statue, walking to his behind. Sir Falfax stood on a large disformed toolbox, and I've heard folks around here say it's the one he used for his inventions. I wondered where it is now.

Behind that toolbox is a hidden valve that you need to pull out and turn, revealing a secret compartment under the statue. I recently discovered it and found it brilliant for hiding my new E-Power-14.

I came up with that name myself. Everyone in our city has some form of air transportation, taking them from one city level to the next.

It isn't what you might have expected to hear, but that's how things run here.

Most of the city was giant floating clockwork-like mechanisms with platforms shaped like clocks. Roads didn't exist in the air except at the very bottom, where stone roads were laid out, but it became a path to walk and the sky made to ride across. All citizens knew how the traffic worked. It's something you pick up after your fourth time in the air.

I've heard cars are these strong things that ride along the ground, but isn't that the most boring thing you've ever heard? We use Clunks to ride the air - not sure who chose the name, but it works.