40. nick strikes again

I'M SWEATING IN this goddamn dress.

In reality, I shouldn't be. It's a black, spaghetti strap, bodycon piece that ends half-way down my thighs paired with a thin, lacy corset tied up my torso—my attempt at dressy casual.

I tug at my stompers, shifting in a seat in the meeting room, near the front. There's a podium—very official—and pamphlets set on the seats all around me.

I look at my own paper, eyes running over the names on the sheet, recognizing a couple people, head shooting up as someone sits next to me.

My eyes dart over, body starting to heat up even more as I take in the sight of Dane Anderson.

He's wearing a white button down today, suit jacket, and slacks that kind of make me want to pull him toward me by the collar and make him repent for all his sins.

"Cleodora."

"Dane."

I sniff, head immediately returning back to the front of the room, legs crossing.

His eyes shift to my bare skin for a second before he looks down at his pamphlet.

"Ready to lose?"

"Hardly, but it's sweet you have such high hopes for yourself."

He laughs dryly, leaning back in his seat, mussing up the hair he's gelled down before the program can even start. "I'll have you know my piece is pretty good. Your friends even looked at it for me."

I flinch, turning toward him. "What friends?"

"Marty and Anaya."

The gasp that leaves my lips is almost comical before I turn back to the front quickly, muttering under my breath. "Traitors."

"Can't trust anyone, can you?"

"Apparently not."

"Cleo!" Ruby hisses, snagging the seat next to me before grabbing my hands. "It's the big day. How are we feeling?"

"Anxious," I admit, pulling my legs closer into my body. "But I'm excited to hear everyone's pieces."

"Is Frances really going to make us all go up there to read? That's like torture."

I turn around, glancing at all the people I've never seen before filing into the room.

Damn.

When she said she and Chantelle were inviting their friends and colleagues to the readings, I didn't think she meant this many.

"Good thing I don't have stage fright."

"No, for real. It is kind of intimidating, though, being vulnerable enough to read your own work in front of a room full of people."

"You'll be fine," I assure her, squeezing her hands before letting go.

Marty waves at me a seat away from Ruby as he sits down, and I lean forward, pointing at my eyes then his in an 'I'm watching you,' motion.

In response, his eyebrows slant confusedly, and after looking to see the room still not done filling up behind him, he darts out of his seat to crouch by mine.

"Why are you sending me menacing gestures?"

I jab my thumb over at Dane who pats my shoulder like the condescending asshole he is.

"She's distressed."

"This is a competition, Marty. How dare you help the enemy?"

"Hey, he helped me too. And anyway, we've all been giving each other feedback. That's what we're supposed to do."