A Bright Future ≫ Squirrelpaw x Little Sister! Reader x Leafpaw (PLATONIC)

🥀 Art: duskish-warriors 🥀

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst
• You might die from the fluffiness

This is a request for Pinestripe37. Your support is always appreciated!

****

You sighed, prodding a ball of moss with your paw. You were bored out of your mind, and the scorching-hot sun wasn't helping to improve your mood. A tail gently swept down your small body, and you looked up to see your mother, Sandstorm, standing beside you with a warm smile on her face. "What are you doing, little one?" She asked. "Why aren't you playing with Ferncloud's kits?" You followed her gaze across the clearing to where the two were playing near the shade of the camp entrance, squealing in delight and chasing each other about.

"I don't want to play with Shrewkit and Spiderkit," You replied, your voice slight whiny. "I want to play with Squirrelpaw and Leafpaw." Your older sisters never seemed to be around anymore. You were born the day after they became apprentices, and from what you were hearing, Squirrelpaw was about to become a warrior.

Sandstorm sighed patiently, sitting down beside you and stroking her tail down your back. "Squirrelpaw and Leafpaw are busy, sweetheart. They don't have time to play anymore." The thought made you terribly sad, and you reached up with a small paw to wipe a tear away. It wasn't fair that you were so much younger.

Just then, a dark orange pelt caught your eye. It was Squirrelpaw, padding towards you with something hanging from her jaws. You immediately perked up, springing to your paws and racing across the clearing to meet her. Her green eyes lit up when she saw you, and she immediately sat whatever it was she was carrying down and bent her head to nuzzle you. "Hey, (Y/N)!" She meowed enthusiastically. "Have you eaten today?"

You giggled, shaking your head. "No. Mom just woke up." Squirrelpaw smirked, then pushed a small brown creature towards you. You gave an excited bounce, realizing what she had brought you. It was a mouse. You'd never had one before. "Thanks, Squirrelpaw!" You meowed excitedly, crouching down and taking your first bite. It was warm and savory on your tongue, and the taste made your mouth water like a flood.

Squirrelpaw chuckled, reaching down and ruffling the fur on your head. "You're welcome, squirt. Just don't get used to it, alright? Soon you'll be hunting for yourself." She gave you a wink, and your heart soared with excitement. She was right—you were going to be an apprentice soon!

"Squirrelpaw, what were you thinking? (Y/N) shouldn't be eating whole mice yet!" Leafpaw was padding towards you, her voice slightly muffled by a chunk of honeycomb in her jaws.

"Relax, Leafpaw," Squirrelpaw responded with a roll of her eyes. "She's almost an apprentice, for StarClan's sake. She's a big, strong kit! Aren't you, (Y/N)?" Your chest swelled with pride at your older sister's praise. You puffed your chest out, squaring your shoulders and trying to look bigger. Both of your sisters laughed, and Leafpaw padded over and placed the honeycomb in front of you.

"There you go, (Y/N). Cinderpelt said you could have some of our extra honeycomb."

Your smile widened, and you looked up at Leafpaw with a grateful purr. "Thank you, Leafpaw! You're the best!" Leafpaw smiled at you kindly, and Squirrelpaw's expression twisted into one of mock hurt.

"I thought I was your favorite!" She exclaimed in disbelief. "I brought you a mouse, remember?" You giggled. You always found it funny how the two would argue over which one of them you loved the most.

"I remember," You meowed, wiping the honey off your muzzle with a paw. "I like honey and mice!" You gave a little excited bounce, and Leafpaw and Squirrelpaw exchanged an amused glance. You watched them both for a moment, then looked at your paws. It made you a little bit sad to know that you wouldn't get your warrior name beside Squirrelpaw or collect herbs with Leafpaw, but you were excited to be an apprentice nevertheless.

"Are you excited for your apprentice ceremony, (Y/N)?" Leafpaw asked you kindly. "Firestar told me it shouldn't be too much longer."

"Really!?" You squealed, leaping to your paws. "Who is my mentor going to be? Will they take me hunting on my first day as an apprentice? When will I get to start battle training? Who will I sleep next to in the apprentices' den? What about—" Your sisters started to laugh, and you quickly shut your muzzle as embarrassment flooded over you. You had definitely let your excitement get the better of you.

"Firestar will explain everything at the ceremony," Leafpaw laughed. "And as for your mentor, I heard Firestar mention Brightheart. I'm sure she'll answer all your questions, okay?"

You nodded so hard your ears flapped. "Okay!" With that, you gave each of your sisters a lick on the cheek, then rubbed against their legs. "I love you both. Thank you for bringing me good stuff!"

"You're welcome," Squirrelpaw purred, licking the fur between your ears. "I'm just glad you're almost old enough to be an apprentice. Once you learn how to hunt, I'll take you out and show you the best places to catch mice."

"And I'll let you help me gather herbs," Leafpaw chimed in. "I promise it's way more fun than you think."

You were even more excited now. "You're the best! Thank you!" Then, you turned and raced back to the nursery, where Sandstorm was waiting for you. She smiled at you and nuzzled your cheek as you scrambled up to her.

"How was the mouse?" She asked.

"It was the best thing I've ever tasted!" You exclaimed, bouncing excitedly. "And guess what? Squirrelpaw said that when I'm an apprentice, she'll take me hunting! Oh, and Leafpaw said she'll let me help her collect herbs!" You began rambling on and on about all the great things you were going to do as an apprentice, your heart soaring the whole time. You were lucky to almost be an apprentice, but you were even luckier to have Squirrelpaw and Leafpaw as sisters.

****

This was such a cute concept! I'm definitely not planning an angsty sequel

Thanks so much, Pinestripe! I always love writing your requests!