Chapter 5

It was six am when Rodger walked into his son's room. The boy was snoring was so loudly he was sure the neighbors on both sides could hear him.

Should really get him checked out for sleep apnea he thought.

"Parker." He said to the boy who was laying on his stomach underneath a New York Giants comforter. "Parker time to get up."

He muttered something incomprehensible.

"Let's go Parker." He said a little more firmly.

"Five more minutes." He groaned.

"How about no more minutes." He said as he pulled the blanket and sheet off of him.  The boy did not stir. "Get your butt young man." He said in a stern tone.

"Come on dad."  He said as he rolled on his side.

"Parker get up." His eyes had a threatening look which said you best do it now.

Parker sat up and Rodger saw the boy wince. Evidently his bottom still hurt and would probably hurt for most of the day.  He wiped his eyes as he asked. "What time is it?"

"Six o'clock." Rodger replied.

"Six o'clock?" The boy looked at his father flabbergasted. "Come on dad its Saturday."

"I know what day it is." Rodger said calmly.

"Come on dad let me go back to sleep?"  He pleaded and attempted to lay back down.

"Don't you dare lay back down." He said gruffly causing the boy to sit back up. "Now get up and get dressed you're coming to work with me today."

"What?" He said. "Why?"

"Because I can't you trust you."

"You can trust me dad."

Rodger let out a derisive smirk. "Really? Because last night seemed indicate otherwise."  He looked away from his father. "You lost my trust son and its going to take you a long time to earn it back."

"Dad please don't make me do this." He begged. "I'll be good I promise."

"You're going." Parker tried to say something only for Rodger to raise his hand cutting him off.  "End of conversation." Parker then hung his head. "Now get up."

Parker stood up with his head still hanging down.

"Look at me." Parker looked up at him. "I want you dressed and downstairs in ten minutes."

"Yes, dad." He obediently said.

"Also you've earned yourself another half hour in the corner."

The boy fought the urge to cry. "Yes, sir." He choked out. "I'm sorry sir."

Rodger lightly tapped the side of his son's face with the palm of his hand. "I love you son."

"I love you too dad." He said.

Rodger smiled and walked out.

Ten minutes later he was in the kitchen wearing a white hoodie and white shorts.  A pillow was tucked under his arm that he placed on the chair before sitting down. Rodger placed a plate of pancakes with sausage in front of him and the two ate in silence.

Shortly after seven the two pulled up outside of Fitzsimmons car dealership where his father was the sales manager.  His father had started off as a salesman twenty two years earlier and was promoted to sales manager ten years ago.

They walked into the showroom where three used vehicles sat in the center. To the left of them were eight desks where the unfortunate slobs who worked for the soul crushing company sat trying to desperately to make a sale to please the taskmasters who ran the company.