chapter two // hanging out

---

Will was completely confused, after Max and El left Will was left to question reality itself. Why the hell would El just dare him to hang out with her second cousin? While questioning reality. he flinched at El's voice on a walkie talkie.

"Will, you there? Over." El's voice sounded from the device.

Will scrambled to the walkie talkie and cleared his throat, "I'm here, over." Will answered the answered the girl, confused on what the hell was even happening anymore.

"Mike's also here, over." Another voice sounded from the other end, followed by laughter from both El and the other person. Will reasonably knew that was Mike Wheeler speaking.

Will was even more confused than before, puzzled even, confuzzled even.

El cleared her throat, "Mike's over at my house right now, sorry about that. Over." She spoke, you could hear the nervousness in her tone.

Will grinned, "No it's fine, El, over." He spoke, hesitating before going on, "Actually, did you need something? Over." He asked.

El laughed, it was a nervous laugh by far, "Actually, it's about the dare, " She started, "I left with absolutely zero context. Over." She explained briefly.

Will laughed, he had honestly forgotten Mike was even there, "Oh yeah, you did kinda leave me hanging, didn't you? Over." He responded.

El and Mike's laughter could be heard from the other end, Will realized that Mike was still there. Damn.

"Mike goes to the same school as us, " El spoke, "You two can start hanging out there if you want. Over." She explained, this was a very awkward situation honestly.

"Oh yeah, Mike, you're there still, right? Over." Will questioned, he needed consent from Mike to actually hang out before he felt the slightest bit comfortable. It'd be awkward enough with consent, even more without.

"Yep, over!" Mike spoke from the other end.

"You're fine with this dare?" Will questioned, "Over." He added, almost completely forgetting to say it.

"Of course!" Mike exclaimed, "You seem like a nice person, Byers. Over." Mike added, Will grinned from the other end.

Will nodded, "Alright, well I need to go now, over and out." Will stated before putting the walkie talkie back in place.

-- the next day --

Will had almost completely forgotten about yesterday when he woke up. Right now, he was focused on getting to school on time. Somehow, Will stayed up until two in the morning drawing D&D related stuff. Which meant, he woke up late and was now scrambling to get ready. Hell, he barely cared about breakfast.

Will ran past his mom and older brother, saying a quick bye to them before rushing out the door and getting on his bike to ride to school. Will could only hope at this rate.

Once he got to school, he sped to his first class and slid into his chair right when the bell rang a few seconds later. But, big shocker, the teacher was late. THE TEACHER. WAS LATE.

Will let out a sigh, he was now truly annoyed, he was almost late and for what? So the teacher could be?

"You seem annoyed today." Max commented, she sat next to Will, so it was only natural that she'd notice him being annoyed as hell.

Will turned to Max, "Well, I rushed out of the house to make it on time and then the teacher's late." He explained, he could've at least biked slower if he knew!

Then Mike CASUALLY walked in late, Will and Max just kind of looked at him. Deadpan. Was Mike planning on casually walking in and getting detention or something?!

Mike smiled at Will before sitting down in his seat.

"I totally forgot that you and Mike have to hang out." Max spoke, "Still a weird dare to me, it's suspicious." She added with a sigh as she glanced at the boy in question, Mike.

Will nodded, "It is suspicious and definitely random. Especially right after coming out to El." He said, also looked at the raven-haired boy.

"Is she trying to set you two up?" Max questioned in a low voice, Will shrugged in response.

"He is about the straightest guy I have ever seen." Will spoke honestly, causing Max to chuckle and nod in agreement.

Both of them flinched when Mike noticed them and gave the two a confused look. Max and Will both turned their heads, only to glance to each other while grinning like idiots.

"Oh definitely." Max replied, trying hard not to laugh.

Eventually, class ended with no teacher coming in at all, turns out class was cancelled, and no one noticed. So, now they were headed to lunch for... food. Duh.

As Max and Will left, Mike caught up to the two, catching both of their attention.

Will and Max just looked at Mike, waiting for him to say something.

"I was wondering if you both want to come and hang out my place later, with El of course." Mike spoke, he almost seemed out of breath.

Will shrugged, "I don't mind." He replied, the dare was for them to hang out. Never mentioned if they had to be alone or not.

Max looked at the two, she seemed to notice something because she smirked, "I'm busy." She said, so turns out it'll just be Mike, Will, and El.

Or at least... that's what Will thought.

---

"Will will be awkward if you try to approach him and ask to hang out alone, " El started, she was helping give Mike advice for attempting to hang out with Will.

"So, instead of inviting him to hang out with just you two or with your friends, find a time Max is with Will, pray Max gets some sort of hint, and say I'll be going too." El continued, Mike nodding to everything she says, "I'll be there of course, but I'll say I have to leave because I promised someone something." El concluded.

Mike nodded, "But friends don't lie?" He questioned.

El looked at Mike deadpan, "When it comes to getting you a date, then yeah I'll kind of have to lie." She stated, noticed Mike's face get a bit red.

"I'm not trying to get a date!" Mike exclaimed, grabbing a pillow nearby and hitting El with it.

El laughed, partially and Mike and partially about the situation, "Says the one super excited to hang out with him and trying desperately to get him alone with you!" She exclaimed, earning another hit from the pillow.