Chapter Two - The Discussion And Its Outcome

Three days had passed and she still hadn't been able to bring herself to call her Mom and ask her for her opinions on Collette making a lifestyle change. She was worried her mom might actually agree with the change, and push her towards it. Her fears and doubts outweighed her dreams at the moment, and she wasn't sure if her dream was even possible to make into a reality.

On the third day since Collette and Olivia had their talk, Olivia pestered Collette anytime she saw her. Constantly asking if she'd talked to Mom about it, and if she'd made a decision. Each time, Collette would say no, but after the fourth time Olivia asked, Collette's patience was beginning to run out.

"Ugh, fine. I'll call her right now!" Collette shouted, stomping her foot as if she was a frustrated little girl. Arguing with Olivia made her feel like a little girl sometimes because Olivia always knew just what to say to simultaneously frustrate her sister, and get her own way.

Collette hated that about her, and the fact that she tended to be right only made her hate her more. She didn't want to be bossed around by her older sister anymore. She wasn't a little kid anymore.

Olivia, sitting on a barstool next to her, egged Collette on, "Okay, I'm watching. You said you'd call her now, you better keep your word!"

Hands shaking, Collette pulled her phone from her back pocket and turned on the screen. She unlocked it easily, due to habit, but then froze. She stared at her Mom's contact on the screen, and the little green call button. It seemed as if a lifetime passed by before Olivia's words broke her from her panic.

"Mom won't call herself. Lettie, Mom isn't going to bite your head off when you tell her your dreams." Olivia turned on her barstool and placed her hands on Collette's shoulders and firmly, but gently, squeezed them.

"Mom helped talk me through my dreams of being a teacher and look at me now! If I can make my dreams come true, so can you. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? You'll always have me, and the rest of the family, to fall back on if things don't work out for whatever reason." She squeezed Collette's shoulders one last time before releasing her sister from her loving grip and walking away from the kitchen to sit on the couch.

Olivia picked up her current crochet project from a crate under the coffee table and began working with the needle and yarn. When she wasn't at the school, or grading papers, Olivia enjoyed crafting blankets and shawls with a needle and a lot, a lot, of yarn.

Collette watched her sister work with the yarn for a few moments before turning her gaze back to her phone.

All she had to do was talk to Mom. No biggie. It's just Mom.

She took a deep breath and pressed the call button. Then she shut her eyes and let out a long sigh while the phone connected and began to ring.

"Sorry I can't make it to the phone right now.."

Collette glared at Olivia, not finding her joke very funny at the moment. Olivia, however, was doubled over in a wild laughter and almost fell off the couch when she leaned too far forward.

The phone stopped ringing, which broke them away from their respective glaring and laughing, and their mom's sweet voice came through the line.

"Hey dear, how are you and your sister doing tonight?"

"Oh you know, same old same old. We're fine..good, actually. Olivia is crocheting on the couch at the moment, and she seems to be having a grand ol' time." Olivia gave her a pointed stare and then raised an eyebrow when Collette shrugged her off.

"That's good, Lettie." Their mom continued. "So, what did you want to talk about, sweetie? I know you, and I know that you're not one to call me just because." Her tone remained lighthearted, but her last statement hit home.