love potion no. 9

1950's AU: nick and charlie are teenagers falling in love in the 50's, with milkshakes, sock hops, record machines and puppy love. set in a 1950's that is more socially aligned with today, both boys are supported. less angst, a lot of fluff. music based/involved. small trigger warning for homophobia. i am american so i apologize for any British discrepancies. i tried to make everything accurate to the time but i'm sorry if i made mistakes!

word count: 11,380

songs to listen to:

love potion number nine by the searchers
put your head on my shoulder by paul anka
born to hand jive by sha na na
earth angel by the penguins
a teenager in love by dion & the belmonts
then he kissed me by the crystals
mr. sandman by the chordettes
goodnite sweetheart goodnite by the spaniels
i only have eyes for you by the flamingos
shake, rattle and roll by bill haley and the comets
little bitty pretty one by thurston harris
do you love me? by the contours
don't know much about history by sam cooke
my girl by the temptations

september 12, 1955
the first day of school

nick nelson opened the door to school and clicked his way down the hallway in his new school shoes. shined, smelling of new leather and shoe polish, complimenting the look of his freshly ironed uniform and neatly gelled and styled, slick backed hair. his tie wrapped snug around his neck and his tan socks poking out from pants, his messenger bag hanging at his side, swinging ever so slightly every time he took a new step. he flashed a smile at a lingering group of girls that waved at him, one giving a quick wink before turning back to her friends, giggling. they must have been waiting around at Truham until the first class of the day began at Higgs. it was never odd to see the occasional swinging skirt of a Higgs girl in the hallway, especially since it was the start of a new year and the students had been thrust back into a social setting, some running for hugs and some sobbing out faux apologies for a lack of contact over the summer break. Imogen, the girl who had winked, must have been done with one or the either as she called after Nick to slow down. "Nicholas! Wait up a moment!" She called after him, her flats tapping the floor as she sped up to meet him. he could hear her skirt swishing as she walked, a sort of unsettlingly soothing noise he'd become somewhat familiar with over the years. he turned around to meet her gaze and he really took her in. she had grown a bit over the break, her head meeting him at his chin compared to his shoulders the year before. her freshly dyed blonde hair was pinned up to her head in curls, framing her face and icy blue eyes. she had on the Higgs school colors, a navy blue skirt and button down with yellow details on the collar and buttons and hem of her skirt. she caught up with him, her new shoes squeaking a bit against the freshly cleaned tiles in the corridor. she caught herself and balancing herself on his shoulder, giving him a slight friendly nudge. "I missed you over break! It was hard to walk around every day without my daily dose of Nicholas" she quips with a quick smile. "You look nice in your uniform! I quite love the new one for Higgs, but what do you think?" She gives a spin, showing off the layers of her skirt and giving a dramatic hand gesture, as if to say 'look at all this!'. He nods approvingly, giving a quick chuckle and taking one hand from his pocket to lazily copy her gesture. "I don't really notice a difference but at least the colors aren't the atrocious shades of yellow and blue they were before. How many layers do they really need to force us to wear just to come to school?" he says, thinking back on his mothers look on her face when she counted how many pieces she would have to iron at least once a week, giving nothing short of a cringed look of pain. Imogen giggles a bit, smacking his arm playfully. "Oh, you don't even know the half of it, Mr. Nelson! Think of my poor laundering bill!" as she fluffs up her hair. A single bell quickly sounds, indicating a 5 minute mark to get to class. "Oh goodness! I didn't even realize was time it was! I really should be headed to Higgs before the headmistress gets impatient. I'll see you later at the rugby match, won't I?" She says as she gathers herself again, turning on her heel to head towards the door. She whips her hair around and begins her trek, not even waiting for an answer from the boy she left in her tracks. "I suppose you will", he says under his breath, turning back around and sticking his hand into his bag, retrieving the schedule he'd received a few weeks before. This year was a whirlwind of changes, new school uniforms, the mingling of different years in classes and the faint smell of lemon scented  cleaning supplies newly coated the walls of Truham, adding an ambiance to the first 10 minutes of his year 11 experience. He turned the corner, passing by some of his rugby mates, giving a quick greeting and pushing his way through the crowds of hollering  boys and quieter younger kids, guiding each other towards their correct form rooms.