Nine: Boom, boom, shake the room

We ran through the forest. My head pounded, my side ached. The last of the cream was wearing off, and pain was creeping in.

.. - / .... ..- .-. - ...

It hurts.

I could barely focus. Every step sent a jolt of discomfort, but we had almost reached the fire. Almost there. A little further, I told myself.

The Careers skidded to a halt. In front of them, was a huge bonfire, burning strongly and sending thick belching smoke into the air. Clove hissed in annoyance, "It's a fake! There's no tributes here." Marvel nodded, with a sigh.

Cato growled. Literally growled, "Whoever set this up..." The scowl on his face was terrifying. I reached out, and rested my hand on his arm. His jaw clenched and I stared into his icy, blue eyes.

"Calm. It's okay. We'll catch them - they can't have gone far." He shook his head, turning away from me and pulling his arm to his side. I let my hand drop. A fearsome grimace marred his face.

In the sky, another smoke stream started up, looking exactly like the other one. I sighed as Cato bolted for it, swiftly followed by Clove and Marvel like sheep.

They never learn.

Just like the last, this one was a set up, and the tribute who set it up was no where in sight. Cato yelled in anger and kicked a tree. Clove and Marvel were both visibly worried, as well as annoyed. I sighed, as the blonde boy muttered profanities.

There was a sudden boom from afar. The camp. Another explosion sounded. We all looked up in fear and anger.

"It was a trick!" Marvel yelled out. Clove hissed in anger,

"Go, go, go!"

And then we were running, back through the trees, past the other fire, towards the explosions. Cato was literally growling. Again. His anger was rising, and I knew of we weren't careful, he might lose control of it. My heart ached and my side stung. Branches and leaves grabbed at my clothes.

More explosions sounded, we sprinted faster and faster towards the Cornucopia. Reaching it, the booming stopped. We walked slowly into the desolate clearing, barren, aside from the towering Cornucopia and the lone figure I recognised as the boy from Three. My cut burned, tearing, ripping into my side.

Cato lunged forward, ripping the spear out of Three's hands. "You had one job! One job!" He yelled in anger. We all stumbled back, skittering away as we saw his rage increase.

"I- I-" Three stuttered, "The girl from Five- I only turned away for a second-"

A roar of anger and crazed fury was expelled, as Cato swiftly forced the boy's head sideways. There was a sickening crack. My vision blurred.

Three fell like a rag doll onto the grass, his cannon boomed, but it was faint. Marvel was yelling, I think, Cato too, but the world began to sway.

I staggered, the movement turning Clove's head. Her eyes widened, she was saying something, but all I could hear was white noise, as black began to take over.

Figures rushed in front of my eyes, but the agony finally became too much, and the last thing I knew was pain, darkness and a scream of anguish.

The first thing I knew was prodding. An uncomfortable lump under my back, digging in to the space between my shoulder blades. A tree root.

Then the murmur of voices, faint but growing louder steadily as my ears adjusted. I began to gather my thoughts, but my eyes were tired of staying shut.

Brightness invaded my senses. A curious face came into view, one with brown hair and freckles.

"Clove?" I murmured groggily.

Clove smiled, helping me to sit up, "We thought you wouldn't wake up!"

I looked around, realising that we were in the middle of the forest.

"Where are we?"

Clove looked slightly downcast as she replied, "The new camp. We had to set up another one because of the destruction of our supplies - the whole area was demolished except for the Cornucopia itself."

I laughed, my brain somehow finding humour, "That things indestructible, I swear!"

The shorter girl giggled slightly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm glad your okay. Although, Cato was pretty mad."

"Why?" I asked. What possible reason could the blonde boy have to be angry with me? Did he think I was responsible for the explosions? That I was working with the enemy? "Where is he anyway?"

"Our looking for other tributes. Marvel too."

"How long was I out?"

"A few hours."

I let out a sigh. A few hours?! Anything could've happened in that time!

"Anyone else dead?"

"There was two canons in quick succession earlier. Hopefully Marvel or Cato killed a few."

I nodded. But a thunder of noise drew both of our eyes towards the trees on the left of us. Clove's hand slipped to her knife.

A muscular figure strode from the forest and into the clearing. Cato ran a hand through his hair, ruffling it into spikes. He paused when he saw me.

"You're awake!"

I frowned, "Yes. Yes I am...?"

To be honest, I was still recovering from the horde of butterflies that swarmed through my stomach and up into my mind at the initial sight of him.

His face melted to rage in an instant.

"Why the hell did you hide it?"

"What?" I yelped, bewildered. Why did he... care, all of a sudden?

"That gash on your body, it isn't new! You could've told us! How long have you been hiding it?!"

Out of the corner of my eye, Clove backed away, going through the trees with a mutter of "I'll leave you to it.." which Cato didn't hear.

"Look..." I gave a sigh, and looked up at him, towering over my head, "The boy from Five. Bloodbath."

"Why didn't you tell me?" At this point, he just sounded sad. Sad and scared. The rage drained away, and only upset remained beneath it.

I looked up at him with eyes turning angry, "Hey, I almost collapsed multiple times! Only Peeta, the boy from Twelve, even noticed! Only now you care! What, is it because your little plaything Glimmer is gone that you turn to your backup?!"

Cato was taken back, eyes wide, "What? No! Of course not! Glimmer meant nothing to me!"

A little breath escaped my mouth, "Really? Really? Because you followed her around like a lost puppy whilst Clove, Marvel and I did everything else!"

In one swift movement, the blonde boy pulled me to his chest in a hug. For a moment I struggled, but slowed quickly as I inhaled his scent. Butterflies brewed inside me, but I pushed them down.

"I'm sorry." I felt him murmur into my hair. I slowly relaxed, letting him pull me closer and burrow my face into his shoulder.

Then I pulled away. He cleared his throat, cheeks blushing red. Embarrassment sent heat to my face. I looked off to one side as he muttered

"Should I, um, get Clove?"

I nodded, and he walked away.

I sat down again. When had I stood up? The butterflies swarmed my chest as the hole in my heart mended it's self the tiniest bit. At least Glimmer didn't mean anything.

At least I had a chance.

Dun dun dunnnnnn!

Personally, Glato is horrifying. That's not me trying to disrespect the Glato shippers, I just personally ship Clato ;)

Chapter Nine is done!