⠀ one. 352 days later...

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

˚⋆ ┊ ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING ┊ ⋆˚
☆⋅⋆ ─ act i. don't you want me, baby?

CHAPTER ONE - 352 days later

( episode one ; madmax )

⠀ ⠀ GETTING BACK TO NORMALITY AFTER ALL Peyton had encountered last year seemed impossible from the start. Because, how do you just forget about fighting a creature with no face from another dimension?

Watching her peers move as if nothing happened was like torture.

Because to them, nothing happened.

none of them knew the truth about what happened to Will. Or Barb. And it was quite literally a life or death decision for her to share that information. Even with her best friend. All Joey knew was that Peyton, Steve, Jonathan and Nancy had all gone through something traumatic, along with all of their younger siblings.

What that traumatic thing was? Nobody was allowed to share.

Not unless they wanted to ruin the lives of themselves and their loved ones.

But there was one good thing to come out of the traumatic, and extremely platonic, bond formed between Jonathan and Peyton that night.

It reintroduced Bob Newby to Joyce Byers.

Now, Peyton was not at all ready for her father to be dating again. But, if she was going to pick anyone to be her mom, it would be Joyce. Mrs. Byers was kind, and truly cared about her boys. I mean she quite literally went to hell and back to save Will. The same couldn't be said for Peyton's own mother.

Things weren't always terrible between them. Growing up, her mom used to take her to playgrounds, win her toys, dance to Fleetwood Mac in the living room as they span like the vinyl on the record player. But something changed. If she was honest, Peyton didn't even know what happened between her parents, but they reached a turning point. And one affair after the other; there was no turning back. Bags packed, mommy dearest left to go God knows where with God knows who, all while Bob Newby was left with two kids and a broken heart.

School was especially cruel after that. People liked to talk. About the Newbys. About how they weren't surprised a woman like that left a guy like Bob. The more she heard the more certain she became that her mother's last name was kept through spite rather than sentiment. But Parker was proud to be a Newby.

Although part of her resented Will and Jonathan for having such a wonderful mother, Peyton knew that their childhood suffering was matched. Where she was handed an asshole mom, they'd been given a shitty dad. In a way, she was glad the toxicity of the past had led Bob and Joyce together. Still, she wished her mom had left her and Parker with more than just childhood trauma.